Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] New Wordpress SEO plugin compatible?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
I'm excited to try out a new plugin by Yoast: http://yoast.com/wordpress-seo-public-beta/

There is a notice on one of the settings pages that says this:
Quote:
Be aware that for WordPress SEO to be able to modify your page titles, your header.php file should contain a reference to wp_title(''), and preferably nothing else.
I've checked and Atahualupa and I can't even find where wp_title is being called in header.php

Do you think this plugin going to be compatible with Ata?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I installed in on my test site and had no problems that I noticed.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:27 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
I installed it as well, however, I'm not seeing any changes taking effect when I try to update the title & meta Description tags.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It worked fine for me. What and where exactly are you changing the title and meta description?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:42 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
What would be the value of using this plugin versus the SEO in Atahualpa?

Velma
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It has features that some may want such as changing the title that shows on the tabs our your browser plus it has some handy tips and such. I am really not sure how much of an actual impact it will have on SEO over the Atahualpa SEO. I just like to play with new plugins and check them out. I still think something that is vastly more important that adding an SEO plugin is writing good titles and text.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:02 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Quote:
It worked fine for me. What and where exactly are you changing the title and meta description?
On the pages when editing them, under the Wordpress SEO options.

When I make a change to the Title, it's not saving it. Well, it's making the change in the Source file but when you go back to edit the page, the title area on the SEO Wordpress options has defaulted to the original title. Very strange. For example, I want the title of the page (in the Wordpress backend) to be "Services" however, I want the title bar to show a short list of the services offered. I could rename the page to the long Title I want, then change it in my menu bar to show "Services" but I don't think the customer will understand that they need to do all those extra steps. I also don't want that long title to show on the page, which it would if I tried that workaround.

The description was just not where I expected it to be, I did a search of the source code & found it.

Quote:
What would be the value of using this plugin versus the SEO in Atahualpa?
I have never used the Ata SEO options, I was using All In One SEO before I started using this theme, so It's what I stuck with.

I wanted to use this SEO Plugin for a clients site, because it is very visual. It shows the how a google search result might look for a particular keyword. And it should help to focus the page to a set keyword or phrase. It also offers related keywords suggestion tool.

I'm not sure if running WP in a subfolder is causing the problem, I don't know if that may be an issue or not, but it's caused other little quirks with other plugins.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
My confusion here is that you have three things with titles and I am not completely sure which you are talking about. You have the Title of the page, the Atahualpa Page Options Title and the Yoast SEO Title. Which are your trying to change that won't stick? If it is the page title and you have the Atahualpa Post/Page Option on then you also have to change the title in those areas as well.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
First off, I'm not using Atahualupas page titles option, it is OFF and the Atahualupa SEO options are turned off.

The first circled area is where I like to name the page, this is what's translated to the menu link, so I like to keep it short & just one word if possible. This also appears as the first line of text on the page, which is fine if it's this short word.

When I make changes per the attached samples, it is not saving these changes, at least not to the Title area of the Wordpress SEO plugin. After I make these changes, save the page, it refreshes, and it reverts back to what it was before I made the change.

Last edited by JaneD; Feb 4, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Now I understand. When I do what you did my SEO title stays as I put it. Maybe this is a plugin conflict issue. Have you tried disabling other plugins? What version of PHP are you at? Do you have a caching plugin installed? I'm drawing at straws since I am not able to reproduce.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
I actually think it has to do with WP being in a subfolder, I deactivated all plugins but Wordpress SEO, AND even switched to the 2010 theme, it's still resetting my Title. It's really weird, it flashes the custom title tag and then switches back to the default setting.

PHP is version 5, and no caching plugin for the site yet as it's being built. I'm going to contact the plugin author about it. I'm glad to see you're not having this problem Larry, I just hope I'm able to fix it for my site.

Just checked out the Support page for the plugin, and someone else is having this problem too... I'll update if I find out anything.

Last edited by JaneD; Oct 16, 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Do you have a wordpress install in the higher folder? Could be a issue with the .htaccess in that folder conflicting with the .htaccess in this folder.

If there is, try this. Temoprallary rename the .htaccess file in the upper folder to just htaccess (no period) and see what happens. This will change the upper wordpress and you will need to set it back after the test.

You will have to use an FTP program to do the rename. Remember that files beginning with a period are invisable.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Now there are a couple more people with this problem, so hopefully it will get figured out.

But to answer your question, no extra Wordpress install or .htaccess file, the only things in the root are the current site's html files, as we wanted to keep that old site active until the new wordpress one is more complete. That's why I put it in a subdirectory. I don't normally do that, so I'm not familiar with this setup and any problems it may cause.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:26 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Just wanted to let people know, this problem has been resolved in the Version 0.1.3 of the plugin. Looking good, I really like it. I think it will help keep the end user on target when writing the content.