Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Appearance of Comment # Notification on Home Page has changed

Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Hello! First of all, thanks for your great work on this theme. I've been using it for the last couple of months, and have been generally quite satisfied. However, a couple of weeks ago, something changed with regards to how the number of comments for a post is displayed on the home page.

I've attached a screenshot with an example, but a quick verbal description would be that it used to only show a number in a dialogue box, with no text. Now it shows the same number, but also the word "Comment" underneath, which takes up a tremendous amount of real estate, and it looks broken. When you hover over the post, the color of the dialogue box turns to blue and the word "Comment" disappears. I assume that's not clear enough, so hopefully the screenshot will help.

Here's the website address, so you can see for yourself:
http://bike-urious.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	commentappearance.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2455  
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
so…what did you change? add any plugins, do any upgrades?

start by disabling ALL your plugins and see if that changes it.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:16 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
so…what did you change? add any plugins, do any upgrades?

start by disabling ALL your plugins and see if that changes it.
My apologies - I thought I mentioned that I didn't remember changing anything, but I clearly did not.

Thanks for the quick response. I've just deactivated all plugins, and that fixed it. After turning plugins back on one at a time, I've isolated the problem to be with the Disqus comment plugin.

The reason why I didn't originally suspect Disqus to be the culprit is because I had been using it for a couple of months before this problem started. Do you have any suggestions for what I could to take care of this? Thanks again.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Actually, now that you've shown me the problem is with Disqus, I'll start looking around with that in mind. This might fix it for me, I'll keep you posted after I try it.

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18945
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:34 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Unfortunately, I was not able to fix my issue based on the above thread. I would definitely appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:47 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Try adding this CSS to the end of your various.css file:
Code:
.hentry .comment-bubble {
   overflow: hidden;
   vertical-align: -8px;
   font-size: 21px;
   line-height: 30px;
}
It's not a perfect solution, but it might do. The key was adding the overflow property, but I also had to tweak the font size & line height to completely hide the Comment text. Thanks for pointing out the anomaly with Disqus; I use the plugin myself, but I guess I haven't had any comments on my sites, yet, so I didn't notice the problem.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchingBruin
It's not a perfect solution, but it might do. The key was adding the overflow property, but I also had to tweak the font size & line height to completely hide the Comment text. Thanks for pointing out the anomaly with Disqus; I use the plugin myself, but I guess I haven't had any comments on my sites, yet, so I didn't notice the problem.
CrouchingBruin,

Thanks! That seems to have fixed it for me. You've just saved me a lot of grief.