Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » eCommerce & Atahualpa »

Help starting a store in Atahualpa...

Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
EZChinesey

1 posts · Feb 2009
With the WP e-commerce widget in Atahualpa3.2, I get lots of fatal errors complaining of undefined functions (eg get_option, and many others). Is this a problem with e-commerce, or perhaps this plugin is not compatible with Atahualpa? Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps other users have encountered/fixed this problem? Are there other shopping plugins that do work well with this theme? I'm working in FireFox3.0.5 on a MacBook running MacOSX10.5.6. Any assistance, suggestions, or info greatly appreciated!

My site, EZChinesey.com, which is built around Atahualpa, garners enthusiastic praise from whoever I grab kicking and screaming to look and see. (Comments/criticisms from you guys are very welcome!)
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:30 PM
endeavourz

15 posts · Feb 2009
Depending on what kind of products you're selling, I would recommend using the WP osC store and plugin for Wordpress. The developer of WP osC has also modified Atahualpa to work with the osC store, which is fantastic. Of course, making changes to the template has to be done manually for the store - so be forewarned it takes a little work.

1. Install Store:
http://www.wposc.com/index.php?cPath=25
Note: If you want to do it in symbiosis mode (so you can integrate WP osC plugin for wordpress), you will want to use the same DB information as your WP website. **BACK UP EVERYTHING** The WP osC forum has lots of instructions on how to do it. I followed the instructions and had no issues. Please read everything before you begin. **AT YOUR OWN RISK**

2. Download the Atahualpa template for the WP osC store here:
http://www.wposc.com/forums/topic.php?id=28

Change the wposc-configure.php file in your store/includes directory:
PHP Code:
?>
// ** if STANDALONE : Your active Theme ? ** //
define('ACTIVE_THEME', 'atahualpa');  

// ** Theme switcher for Web Designers. Usage : ?wptheme=theme-name ** //
// ** Theme switcher: on? off? ? ** //
define('THEME_SWITCHER', 'off');  
?> 
3. Install RSS Feed for your store:
http://www.wposc.com/articles_info.p...articles_id=72

4. And plugin for Wordpress:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-oscommerce/

Allows you to display random products and/or new products in sidebar widget! (TOTALLY RAD!)

Thanks again so much Flynn for building the Atahualpa template!

Last edited by endeavourz; Feb 21, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:42 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hello "endeavourz" (sorry, couldn't find a "real name")

Thanks for your efforts in presenting WP.osC to the forum. I have to say that it looks VERY interesting. And, it appears that Roya Khosravi was really responsive when you'd asked about adapting WP.osC to interact with Atahualpa.

Have you been using osCommerce to interact with a merchant account for any length of time ... prior to your becoming involved with WordPress and Atahualpa?

My wife and I have been "taking" credit cards (VISA & MCard) for years through a merchant account with TransFirst through our local bank. OsCommerce is one of the "shopping carts" that TransFirst will deal with.

I really want to have all the I's dotted and T's crossed before I go live with the whole online-payment-processing thing ...proceeding carefully and thoughtfully!

Thanks again for contribution. Jim
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
endeavourz

15 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Jim,

This is my first WP osC store, but it will not be my last.

I've been running another store using the CRE Loaded version of osCommerce, integrated with paypal cc processing, ups and usps shipping -- It works great! I have had only a few issues and I was able to solve them through the osC and CRE Loaded forums.

When I priced out cc options for my CRE Loaded store, Paypal's small $30 a month fee + per transaction and small % was superior to other CC processing companies who tended to require a lengthy contract, set-up fees and the like. Paypal also integrated with QuickBooks, taking care of one more step.

Consider the projected volume of your store, who will be maintaining it, printing shipping labels etc. For credit card processing, using a local company may have some benefits, but Paypal has been a great tool and a trusted name for new customers to our web store. One last thing - Paypal has an excellent online virtual terminal for taking phone orders. Also easy to process refunds. I hope this info helps!

Best regards,
Crystal
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:48 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Crystal!

Thanks for your thoughts. I feel obligated to our local bank as they were willing to set us up with a merchant account back in the day when mail order vendors were much distrusted by the credit card companies. Of course, times have changed ...when was the last time you heard the phrase "mail order" mentioned. Nowadays any business NOT maintaining an online presence is considered suspect.

But, the people at our brick and mortar bank "up in town" are obviously not on top of online e-commerce, shopping carts and the like. I am very liable to get myself into trouble with the credit card people and/or my customers waiting for the bank to find me answers to questions down the road.

PayPal makes me nervous a lot of the time. They "handle" a lot more money every day than many medium-sized banks without any of the sort of licensing and auditing requirements which banks are subject to. It used to be the case that PayPal was half again more expensive on a per transaction basis than a "real" merchant account, but the banks and the VISA/MC people have managed to effectively to close that gap.

I must admit that I've had a PayPal business account for many years without ever having had any real problems. At this point, my wife and I have pretty much decided that the funds we receive online will be processed into PayPal.

Thanks again for your inputs. Jim
PS -- I'd sugggested to Flynn that he might want to set up an "E-Commerce" section here in the BFA Forum but have not heard back from him.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:23 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd Jim
PS -- I'd sugggested to Flynn that he might want to set up an "E-Commerce" section here in the BFA Forum but have not heard back from him.
It's been only 2 ecommerce related posts so far if I'm not mistaken. I'd rather wait a little until more related posts have been made
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:04 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
It's been only 2 ecommerce related posts so far if I'm not mistaken. I'd rather wait a little until more related posts have been made
Flynn, Of course you're right!

I was selfishly looking for an easy way to organize posts of immediate interest ...to me!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:08 PM
aquilaciencia

11 posts · Aug 2009
Hello:

I have installed wp-osC with the adapted atahualpa theme, and I would like to know where to find info on how to modify the template so that it looks like the customization I made to the theme in WP. As in WP it works with menus I don't know how to edit the files or the best way to do it. I read it can be made by copying the theme for wp and changing the functions.
Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:23 PM
ramapoughnative

9 posts · Jul 2009
I would also like some info on the Atahualpa theme for WP-osC. It looks like the theme has a GUI but I can't find the way to activate it. (similar to the one in WP). Could someone please tell me how to change the banner?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Ramapoughnegative:

To modify your Atahualpa setup you go to "Atahualpa Theme Options" in "Appearance" in the The WP Dashboard. Start at the top - "Start".

Mods to "the banner" are covered in the "Header" area.

You should also visit the section of these forums Header configuration & styling where you'll find a bunch of help.

Jim

PS -- when posting questions and asking for help it'll speed things up if you provide the URL of your website as people will then be able to better see where you're at and what's up.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
ramapoughnative

9 posts · Jul 2009
Thank you for your assistance. Sorry I didn't explain this better.

I have my main website.. www.ramapoughlenapenation.org using the atahualpa theme. , and I have WP-osC installed and integrated www.ramapoughlenapenation.org/store using the same theme. I can not find where in the WP-osC version to load the gui to make changes. The main theme is working fine and I can access that gui but there are no options for the WP-osC side. What am i missing on the store side? thanks in advance!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
Just for comparison:

I used WP eCommerce to build this site: http://www.leanns-design.com , using Atahualpa as the theme.

I had no problems integrating the Atahualpa theme with WP eCommerce.

...Rick...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:23 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Rick!

Nice job! I especially enjoyed the large image presentation of the product photos.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:04 PM
edanto

5 posts · Dec 2009
Very interesting thread guys, I'm just starting to research this myself.

endeavourz, would you be kind enough to link to your site with the WP-OSc store working?

Can anyone else link to Atahualpa sites that they know of running stores, so that I can explore a few. Many thanks