Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Atahualpa Comment box not working

Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
Atahualpa Comment box not working

Hello,
I had trouble on the Twenty Ten theme because the comment box did not work. I upgraded to the latest Atahualpa. Now there is a "Leave a Comment" link under each post, but I tested it and it jumps to the upper right hand corner where there is a "subscribe to comment feed" button. I clicked on that and there is no option to leave a comment--only a list of some very old comments that were submitted to my contact page because the Twenty Ten comment box wasn't working. I used to have a comment box at the bottom of each post. I would like to restore that arrangement and the abundant discussion my blog readers used to enjoy. Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what is the url for your site?
what do you have coded in the theme options-> Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS->FOOTER: ....
for each of the FOOTER items?
do you understand each of the options you have there?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
Hi Juggledad,
My URL is http://www.epicworld.net/blog
The following is the code relevant to comments which I found in the edit post/page info items of the footer, and No, I don't understand any of it. It is all over my head and beyond my very basic html capabilities. I think the only thing that will work for me is for you to give me the exact code that I can copy and paste, and exactly where to paste it. Otherwise, I will continue to pester you. I will try to donate something if I can finally get this fixed, because it has been a problem for many weeks. Thanks.

%comments('No comments', '1 comment', '% comments', 'Comments closed')% - Displays a link to the comment section of the post. The link text depends on the comment count & status (open/closed).

When using this item, provide 4 text strings for the 4 possible comment states:

Replace 'No Comments' with your link text for posts that have no comments yet
Replace '1 comment' with your text for posts with 1 comment
Replace '% comments' with your text for posts with 2 or more comments. The % (percent) character will be replaced with the comment count. Use that character in your own text, too, unless you do not want to display the comment count.
Replace 'Comments closed' with your text for posts where comments are closed. Replace 'Comments closed' with 'dontshow' to display nothing if comments are closed (instead of displaying something like 'Comments closed')

Example: %comments('Leave your comment', 'One comment so far', '% people had their say - chime in!', 'Sorry, but comments are closed')%
Example 2: %comments('Comments', 'Comments (1)', 'Comments (%)', 'dontshow')%

NOTE: On single post pages the %comments('...')% link won't display anything because the comments are on the same page. If you still want to link to the comments, the comment section and the comment form start with named anchors, so you use something like this:
<?php echo '<a href="'.getH().'comments">Skip to comments</a>'; ?> or <?php echo '<a href="'.getH().'commentform">Skip to comments form</a>'; ?> %comments-rss('linktext')% - Displays the comment feed link for a post, with linktext as the link text.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Please go to ATO->export/import settings and export your settings. Then attach them to a reply (use the paper clip icon)
also go to dashboard->settings->permalnks and set them back to the default, save tehm then change them back to what you currently have and then test the comment link again.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
hi Juggledad,
Attached is the txt file for my blog settings. (BTW, there is no paper clip icon, just a manage attachments button. )
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-epicworldnet-settings20120131.txt (14.1 KB, 1972 views)
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what version of Atahualpa are you using?
go to dashboard->settings->permalinks and set it to default and do a save and try the comments.
Then put it back to what you are using. WordPress upgrades seem to mess up the permalinks sometimes.

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 31, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
willclark218

4 posts · Jul 2012
thanks for the fix in 3.7.7! The addition of the "allow comments in page" really solved a dilemma.. anyone having trouble with preious version should just upgrade plain and simple.. works fine with custom perma links.. using latest WP.. 3.4.1
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
I am using Atahualpa 3.7.3, which I believe is the latest update. I am using WP 3.21. I have tried to update to 3.31, but it continues to fail. I have not tried to update manually. I am rather reluctant to update WP anyway, because it tends to disable important plugins. I tried the permalink thing, and it didn't work.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 04:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, why is the upgrade to 3.3.1 failing?
what happens if you change the permalinks to the defalt and leave them there. Does the comment link work?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:47 PM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
I tried the comment link with the default permalink (after logging out) and I got a 404 error message. (I think it was 404) I think the reason was because the server was looking for the the word title, and couldn't find it.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:56 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This is an environmental issue - ie something unique at your site. It prbably has something to do with your htaccess(s). It could be there is another htaccess in a parent folder that is causing issues. Every htaccess from the folder you are in, back up to the root are processed.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:57 PM
epicworld17

11 posts · Jan 2012
That sounds really intimidating. I don't know what htaccess is. My blog is a file in my main site, epicworld.net. When I tried to update Atahualpa, it wouldn't until I went into my file manager at the main site and deleted the old folders. When I did that, it did upgrade. As I was having so much trouble with Twenty Ten, (with the comments, et al) I tried to delete those files, too, but there were so many I didn't attempt it.

So are you saying I need to go into my file manager of my main site, or is this still referring to WordPress? Either way, this is over my head. How am I to know what the problem is? I don't know enough html to detect such a thing. You seem to be quite savvy. I'd even be willing to arrange some way to have you go into those files for me and fix them.

please advise.

Thank you.