Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Noobie widget question (with bfa_widdget_area)

Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
I am new to WP and the Atahualpa theme. Both WP and the theme are the latest code (albeit the theme says 3.7.3 is available but I can only seem to find 3.7.1 download which is currently installed).

I've been doing the google searches and I've added in the code in the style/edit footer area of:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer&cells=2&align=8&align _2=8&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

(just as a side note, I've also seen several posts and have looked at the functions.php file where this could be "permanently" defined)

What I have been trying to find out, is what the full values of the options imply. I get that it makes a "Footer" type code, and it creates two evenly spaced out footer sections. For the moment, I am more interested in what the values allowed for the "align" side. I did try changing align_2 from 8 to 9, and it seemed to change that cell from valign middle and alight left, to valign top and align left.

Again, I apologize for my HTML ignorance, it's never been my programming language, even after 30 years of doing programming. The site I am trying to assist with is under the control of one of your donated members (not sure what their nic is they are using), and its for a breast cancer patient fighting for survival. I am helping out for free, just trying to make things a bit better... any assistance with this particular problem would be deeply appreciated.

Is there a link or spot where all of these options have been defined?

I do have other questions, some of which I've been able to figure out, some not. I don't want to stretch my welcome out, so I will leave those to later on (if I can't find the answers with google)... but knowing and understanding this particular step will make my understanding of how this all works a whole lot better. Thanks kindly in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
In my lazyness, I never tested other options for the "align" side, so this is what I've found out from the changes made for the align="value":

align=9 (valign=top align=left)
align=2 (valign=top align=center)
align=3 (valign=top align=right)

align=8 (valign=middle align=left)
align=1 (valign=middle align=center)
align=4 (valign=middle align=right)

align=7 (valign=bottom align=left)
align=5 (valign=bottom align=right)
align=6 (valign=bottom align=center)

The list of other options available and their values... would still be appreicated

Thanks again.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Look in the theme options they are documented
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
My bad, I didn't look down far enough in the theme "Add New Widget Areas". I was getting confused because I had thought that the links in this area under the documentation (for the three 'style & edit' of the header area, center column, and footer) were broken documentation bugs, that never did anything.

I checked both under FireFox 8 and IE 8, and the only thing I got was an error from IE8 that 'myflowers' was undefined.

Again, I'm not an HTML person, this entire thing is greek to me. I see there is an option that will limit the width of the widget area. At the moment I have 2 defined (which works great) and I am only using the second one right now (pending some bug sorting out for the first one). I don't quite know the proper way to explain this, other than the left panel area has been removed, a few right panel options are in place... and I'd like to "constrain" the two footer areas to be within the central display area rather than stretching all across the bottom. The site was created (not by me) with a Layout Width of 996px so I am going to guess that I would need to supply that as an option within the php code. Would the following work correctly?

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer&width=996px&cells=2&align=1&align_2=3&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>

Or is there a more correct way of doing this? I am sorry for being a pest, the site has gone live and I don't want to take a chance of doing something that will crash it (I don't have full access).

I sincerly appreciate the advice. .. (edit.. ops.. now that the site is live, if you wish you can see it here: justbeatitjessica.com)

Last edited by GaryDev; Nov 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add url for website
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You don't have to supply a width if you are spanning the whole area and you only have to supply widths for those areas you want smaller or perhaps larger than an evenly divided set. For instance if you have a area that is 996px and you want a
  • Two celled widget area
  • Left cell 200px wide
  • Riight takes up the rest of the width
  • Default alignment of 2 which is the content will be at center top of each cell
you would use something like
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Footer&cells=2&width_1=200&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="footer-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); ?>
If you look at the example code and extrapolate you will get the idea. There are defaults so you don't need to define everything.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:52 PM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
Thank you. Span was the word I was looking for earlier, and I guess more than anything, I want to "center" these two footer areas within the span of the center layout area.

Since it would seem that the width option within the php code relates to the width of each of the cells, I bet I would have to encapsule that php statment into a <div> section, and then create some css code that would center that division, with a specified width.

I will use FireFox on the page and open up Firebug, look at the related areas and associated css statements that define those, and see if I can piece together the logic for it. With HTML not being my normal programming language, I tend to make some wrong guesses on things but I hope I am beginning to understand more.

I know the person who the site was created for is deeply grateful for everything people have done to help make this happen.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Note, this code creates widget areas. You can put multiple widgets in each area. Maybe you want to do that, create one widget AREA and put two widgets in it?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:05 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The default alignment should center the content of each cell and the two cells should span the whole width. Also don't confuse the term span with the CSS term span. They have different meanings.

Could you perhaps attach a drawing of what you are trying to accomplish?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
Thanks to both Juggledad & lmilesw. Yes... I finally get the difference between creating a widget area, and the code that goes into that widget. In my initial playing I did create 3, and "stuffed" them so I could see how they worked and appeared on the screen. Decided I would only need 2, so I changed the code and deleted the extra space (hey, at least I didn't have to ask how to do that part... LOL). So I have a footer1 and footer2 in widgets.

justbeatitjessica.com is the site, and at this point only footer2 has active code which contains the social media side. As you can see, those icons are ... "way over" on the right side. I'd like to get those 2 widgets, so that they are within the boundarys of the post content (or I guess it would be page content).

Since the width value affects the widget and not the area, my guess would be I need to put a <div> statement into the "creation with the php code", and the use a CSS style for setting the width of the division, which would then bring the actual widgets into 'alignment' with the theme layout.

I will still need to use a width option for the actual widget creation (the php code side) since footer1 will probably take 2/3 of the left side, and the balance left for footer2.

Please ignore the carousel images at the bottom. It comes from the JJ carousel addition to the Nextgen widget. I've tried two times to create a Wordpress forum account so I can ask in their support forums how to do those images and keep the aspect ratio. Both times WP has failed to send me my password, and I contacted "@Wordpress" on twitter, and they say they don't email passwords. *sigh*. The site says they do when you sign up. Sent email to their "forgot pw" folks, and even they haven't responded yet.

Last edited by GaryDev; Nov 30, 2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling edits
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
Ah, I think I"ve got it now... setting the division width does the job. It was set for 100% in the custom CSS area, I changed that to 75, and its not quite right but it did move it as I wanted. Just need to keep testing to find that "magic number" that works.

Appreciate the hand holding from both of you...

Gary
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDev
Please ignore the carousel images at the bottom. It comes from the JJ carousel addition to the Nextgen widget. I've tried two times to create a Wordpress forum account so I can ask in their support forums how to do those images and keep the aspect ratio. Both times WP has failed to send me my password, and I contacted "@Wordpress" on twitter, and they say they don't email passwords. *sigh*. The site says they do when you sign up. Sent email to their "forgot pw" folks, and even they haven't responded yet.
According to the info on wordpress.org as shown below you need to upload the images in the size and aspect ratio you want or you can define a size and they will be sized to that if you have the auto resize checked in the NextGen settings.

NextGen Gallery Integration:
  • This plugin uses the original width and height of the image uploaded so make sure the images are the correct dimensions when uploaded.
  • If a width and height are defined under the configuration all images will be resized to those dimensions (Highly recommended).
  • Alt & Title Text Field: Provide a full url here and the image will link to this. Only works if alt field starts with either of these; /, http, or ftp.
  • Description Field: Will be used as image alt text. If alt text is present but not a valid url alt text will be used instead for image alt text.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
GaryDev

9 posts · Nov 2011
Larry... I don't know what to say, other than "thanks". The commitment to support in this forum and theme speaks volumes. I don't recall seeing the "autosize" option within the Nextgen gallery, I am thinking that maybe thats in the upload section for the images perhaps. I will look for that.

The good news is... I finally heard back from Wordpress, and it seems that my ISP (Shaw) is blocking and filtering their auto-emails. I will have some words with them over that side of things. I had WP change over my email addy to a hotmail account, so I can at least start being 'active' in those forums.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDev
I don't recall seeing the "autosize" option within the Nextgen gallery, I am thinking that maybe thats in the upload section for the images perhaps. I will look for that.
It's in Gallery>Options>Images and thanks for the thanks.