Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Sorting order of Category Menu Bar

Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:42 AM
joris

3 posts · Feb 2009
Looks like there are only 3 modes for ordering categories (by ID, name, or count). Is there anyway of adding/changing an order, i.e. to create the order i want? (for example is there a way one could change the ID ## to suit one's own order?) thanks — Pierre
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:45 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I think only if you delete and re-create the category (then it should get a higher number). But posts in the category would get lost while deleting its category unless you move the posts to another category first
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:19 AM
MatthiasHeil

23 posts · Jan 2009
Künzell, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to MatthiasHeil Send a message via Skype™ to MatthiasHeil
This is rather a weakness on the Wordpress side I'm afraid, but there are plugins for reordering your categories. The nicest (and IMHO best-developed) one might be this one:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/my-category-order/

Unfortunately, however, the changes it makes are not reflected in Atahualpa's category bar.

Flynn, I guess looking into this will take a considerable amount of coding time,
so what do you think - is there any chance of this happening?-)

Last edited by MatthiasHeil; Feb 28, 2009 at 06:21 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 28, 2009, 07:11 AM
MatthiasHeil

23 posts · Jan 2009
Künzell, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to MatthiasHeil Send a message via Skype™ to MatthiasHeil
Never mind, it's not really necessary because you can "abuse" the page menu bar like I did on

http://www.alte-sprachen.de

All you need is a page redirection plugin such as
http://txfx.net/code/wordpress/page-links-to/

When installed, you create pages that link to your wordpress categories, and reorder those newly created pages using wordpress's built-in "order" functionality...

It took a little thinking, but not more...-)
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
MatthiasHeil

23 posts · Jan 2009
Künzell, Germany
I really like talking to myself...-)

...the only bad thing is that you may lose orientation as the page menu bar does not offer the helpful "as long as you are in this category I'll have this or that background color" functionality as the category menu bar does.

So... Flynn, do you think it is easy to add this "currently visited highlight color" functionality to the page menu bar?

Come to think of it "the Flynn/Atahualpa" way, why not forget all of the aforementioned and just have a new "pages and/or category menu bar" in a future Atahualpa? - If you can make sense of all this stuttered, badly worded nonsense, and seriously consider this new feature, please don't forget to implement target reference options for pages (some may wish some pages to open in new windows...)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:51 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I'll integrate this redirection technique as a means to add arbitrary links to the menu bars if I cannot come up with something better. It's certainly better than editing theme files
Old Mar 1, 2009, 09:08 PM
MatthiasHeil

23 posts · Jan 2009
Künzell, Germany
Thanks, man!-)
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:50 PM
ck9

1 posts · Mar 2009
Was having the same issue with choosing category order in the menu, and can confirm that My-Category-Order does not work with Atahualpa.

Good news is that Category-Order DOES work http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/order-categories/

Love the theme - thanks for the effort! Hope to make a donation at some point =)
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:16 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I'm having trouble with this too.

At first, it seemed that Category Order plugin did work. Now it isn't anymore. I also tried My Category Order, which didn't work at all.

I have my categories set by ID now, and tried the other ways, but nothing helps. I want to be able to control order in the cat menu bar fully. I don't want Obituaries next to Teen Health, for instance!

Category Order doesn't even show the categories in the order in which they actually appear on the site, for some reason. I can drag and drop all I want, but nothing changes on the site.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:49 AM
idg

21 posts · Mar 2009
Seattle, WA
My Category Order works in 3.3.2. You have to remove the standard WP "Category" Widget, and replace with the newly installed "My Category Order: Categories" Widget to see the new order.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:14 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I'm not talking about the order in the sidebars, just in the menu bar at the top. Nothing I do, including installing the new My Category Order, changes that.

I am still on Atahualpa 3.2 because of the earlier problems I had.