Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Is it possible to create a child theme ?

Old May 25, 2011, 05:37 PM
thekjub9

41 posts · May 2011
or how should I upgrade to minimize the danger of losing something ?
I new at this I have never created a child theme so be patient pls

Last edited by lmilesw; May 25, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:17 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you don't need a child theme. The theme options are stored in the database and are safe over theme upgrades. If you make any changes to the theme code, you will have to re do them for the new version.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
MTPrower

8 posts · May 2011
What the hell, I've been searching all day for a way to create a child theme. I want my users to be able to switch themes whenever they want.

All I've been getting all day is "Atuhualpa makes child themes pointless lolololol" crap. I understand that it can live through an upgrade. All I freaking want is a child theme so my users can choose between themes if I install an appropriate plugin for them to do so.

I've been all over the web today looking for the answer to a supposedly-simple question:

Is Atuhualpa capable of a child theme or not? If not, I'm using a different theme.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:24 AM
thekjub9

41 posts · May 2011
you can switch theme anytime to any theme ...

reason of child theme could be that the default theme code is big and robust cause there are also features that the current user dosnt need so when the child theme is created
1. its code is lighter
2. its upgrade proof (the actual atahualpa is as you mentioned)

but 1. ? its there a way how to lightwayted the basic theme ? if I dont need some of the code ?
Old May 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
Knut Sparhell

34 posts · Jun 2010
Fredrikstad, Norway
I have successfully created a child theme of Atahualpa to make my own changes to the loop. The whole point of child themes is that your changes will survive an update.

How do I save the header images so that they will not disappear after an update?
Old May 30, 2011, 01:08 PM
Knut Sparhell

34 posts · Jun 2010
Fredrikstad, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
you don't need a child theme
Huh?

The latest Atahualpa does not allow you to use PHP in the "before the loop", "inside the loop" and "after the loop". Those sections are therefore removed from the optios, since they only contained PHP statements.

Creating a child theme is THE solution to change such things. Changing the included index.php is not an option, as it will disappear after every update.

Creating a child theme is easy and safe: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes even with Atahualpa.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:56 AM
LANtait

56 posts · Jan 2011
Cebu Island, Philippines ~ I live on a tropical island!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut Sparhell
I have successfully created a child theme of Atahualpa to make my own changes to the loop. The whole point of child themes is that your changes will survive an update.

How do I save the header images so that they will not disappear after an update?

Atahualpa Easy Header Mod Ver 3.6.7

If you want to save your custom header, logo and favicon images you should really have a look at this thread...

HOW TO: MultiSite or WP Multi Network: Easy Header Images

I know it says multisite, but in Atahualpa 3.6.4 ~ Mod Version 2.0 was set to default to single site mode and adds all the features you want in either single site or multisite.

The new MOD release for Atahualpa 3.6.7 will be out withing 48 hours (it is finished and under test). Because it is now for both single sites and multi sites it is being renamed to:

Atahualpa Easy Header Mod Ver 3.6.7

Easy Header Mod only required you to upload (replace) 5 files (no cut and paste).

Headers Images, Logos, and Favicons are uploaded via the WordPress Image Uploader.

When you do a theme update, your images are safe in the standard WordPress locations (not in the theme folders) for both the single site and multisite modes.

There is one additional step, you upload the theme files and then upload the Easy Header Mod. If you do the automatic update from WordPress.org, you can still add the Easy Header Mod and your header images, logos and favicons will return! (Almost like magic!)

After more testing, perhaps the Bytes For All team will add this mod to the theme as it is now working on Production Sites in Single Site, Multisite, MultiNetwork and even WPMU is still supported.

I have 3 dozen sites using the Easy Header Mod.

Please Donate to JUGGLEDAD if my support has been of value. Choose the PayPal button JUGGLEDAD.

Last edited by LANtait; Jun 7, 2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Spelling