Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Permalink or 404 error - page not displaying correctly

Old May 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Hi there

Brilliant theme and by far the most configurable at wordpress.org! My mate is very pleased with the website I've just put together for him.

URL: http://www.ashleytempestengineering.com/

My problem: when I type in a non-existent url I get the 404 page but I also get a lot of what looks like php, css and html. Have a look at http://www.ashleytempestengineering.com/id2.html and you'll see what I mean.

If I set my permalinks to 'default' I get the standard browser '404 page not found' message.

When I set my permalinks to Month and name (/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/) I get the page showing the script as above.

I'm using Linux at the UK Fasthosts if that is any indication. I'm a bit stuck with what to do so if anyone can offer a suggestion I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Old May 19, 2009, 06:14 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Something is causing the top part of the page to not be generated. Adding the missing code taken from the source of your main page, does give the expected

Not Found
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

First thing to figure out is if this is a Atahualpa issue or WordPress issue. Try changing to the default theme and link to a bad page, what happens?

If the problem shows up, try reinstalling the WordPress source code
If it doesn't show up, reinstall the Atahualpa theme and see if that fixes it.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:32 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Thanks for replying juggledad.

I swapped to the default theme and on requesting a non-existent page I get the standard browser 'page not found' so all seems to be working ok with Wordpress.

I then deleted the atahualpa 3.3.3 theme and uploaded V3.2. The problem still persists for me with V3.2 so I uploaded V3.3.3 again.

I uploaded atualpha V3.3.3 to another wordpress blog I have that is hosted by another hosting company. The 404 error page and permalinks work fine on that wordpress install.

Could this problem be pointing towards my hosting?

Last edited by woolef; May 20, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it does seem that way.Do you know what version of PHP the host is running? An easy way to check is to install the wp-security plugin (http://semperfiwebdesign.com/custom-...security-scan/). then copy and paste here the System Information Scan. People have had some 'interesting' issues when running PHP 4.x
Old May 20, 2009, 05:52 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Code:
System Information Scan
Operating System : Linux
Server : Apache/1.3.41
Memory usage : 14.54 MByte
MYSQL Version : 5.0.45
SQL Mode : MYSQL40,HIGH_NOT_PRECEDENCE
PHP Version : 5.2.6
PHP Safe Mode : Off
PHP Allow URL fopen : On
PHP Memory Limit : 32M
PHP Max Upload Size : 20M
PHP Max Post Size : 8M
PHP Max Script Execute Time : 30s
PHP Exif support : Yes ( V1.4 )
PHP IPTC support : Yes
PHP XML support : Yes
It all looks up to date, or at least within specs for WP :\
Old May 20, 2009, 06:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quick reply! - Since the cutoff code is at the end of the code generation for the Recent_comments widget, would ou remove that widget and see what happens?
Old May 20, 2009, 06:36 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
I'm not sure what you're asking here. I don't have the 'recent comments' widget installed. I have (just now) removed the sidebars through the atahualpa page to remove widgets from the site altogether.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What version of Wordpress are you on?
Old May 20, 2009, 07:03 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Version 2.7.1
Old May 20, 2009, 07:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I think what's happening is there is some peice of data in the database that is causing Atahualpa a problem when it is trying to generate the NOT FOUND page. When you uploaded Atahualpa 3.3.3 to the other host, did you also upload the mysql database or was this a fresh database?

Can you dump the Atahualpa options (see Flynn's code in post http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ghlight=backup)
and send me the XML file and I'll take a look at it?
Old May 20, 2009, 07:35 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
I just installed the theme on the other blog, no data was transferred across.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2009-05-20.zip (2.3 KB, 1901 views)
Old May 20, 2009, 09:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
looks ok, can you get to the error log and access log on the server? Is there anything in there? (looking for error messages of any type.)

Here's how I would go about pinning this down. I would export my MySQL database and copy all the folders in the wordpress directory to my local server and import the database to my local server and see if the problem was happening

Next I would remove all the plugins and see if the problem still existed,
if it did, I'd start deleting the posts one at a time to see if one of them was causing it.

Once I discovered what was causing it, I'd put some tracing in to see why it was happening.

If you want me to give it a try, send me a PM and we can talk more.
Paul

----------------
update
---------------
I just found this on the web, give it a try and let's see what it may show.

To assist in tracking down the bugs, made a small addition to wp-config.php:

----------------------------------
function wp_error_handler(
$errno,
$errstr,
$errfile,
$errline
) {
error_log(
"WordPress Error: " .
"errno: {$errno} " .
"errstr: {$errstr} " .
"errfile: {$errfile} " .
"errline: {$errline} " .
var_export(debug_backtrace())
);
return(true);
}
set_error_handler('wp_error_handler');
----------------------------------

It isn’t the most elegant logging mechanism, but it does make errors show pretty obviously.

Last edited by juggledad; May 20, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:07 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Editing wp-config.php...will update

Update - get the following;
Code:
array ( 0 => array ( 'file' => '/home/fhlinux193/a/ashleytempestengineering.com/user/htdocs/wp-config.php', 'line' => 94, 'function' => 'wp_error_handler', 'args' => array ( 0 => 2048, 1 => 'Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated', 2 => '/home/fhlinux193/a/ashleytempestengineering.com/user/htdocs/wp-settings.php', 3 => 520, 4 => array ( 'GLOBALS' => array ( 'GLOBALS' => array ( 'GLOBALS' => array ( 
Fatal error: Nesting level too deep - recursive dependency? in /home/fhlinux193/a/ashleytempestengineering.com/user/htdocs/wp-settings.php on line 520

Fatal error: Nesting level too deep - recursive dependency? in Unknown on line 0
Old May 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Could be a red herring but should I have equal amounts of head opening and closing tags? I have 1x<head> and 2x</head> shown at the W3C validator

Thanks for your suggestions and all of your help JD. I think I'm going to do a fresh install in a sub directory of WP, add the atahualpa theme and see what happens with the 404 under those conditions just to prove the hosting will work or not. Then I'll move onto disabling the plugins etc as you've suggested.

Fasthosts have sent me the following;
Quote:
The issue is within your .htaccess file, there is a possibility that directive codes are not accepted in the server. Scripting is no longer part of our support.

Last edited by woolef; May 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Hmmm, so what'd in your .htaccess file?

Which page did you validate, when I do it, I don't get that error, I just get one about the 'contact us' - this is on the main page

Last edited by juggledad; May 21, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 05:25 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Just the standard contents that wordpress puts in for permalinks.
Code:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress
Wow, that validation is a bit weird. Yesterday I got about 17 errors (including the </head> error) but now only one which is not biggie anyway. Hmmmm :\

I'm going to fresh install WP to a sub directory in the next couple of hours. I'll report back with my findings.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
woolef

10 posts · May 2009
Well that all works ok with just WP and Atahualpa 3.3.3 (after I removed the roots htaccess file and the wp-config.php file) so I'm moving onto disabling plugins now.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It's starting to process header.php at almost exactly the middle with
headline h1 a:hover

I don't see anything in the code at that location that would cause this. I checked a few sites and the 404 pages are working there

Perhaps you can link it to a specific plugin

Perhaps a combination of PHP settings & Atahualpa & plugin
Old Apr 4, 2010, 01:26 AM
emily

2 posts · Apr 2010
hi. i have a similar problem as the OP - my post is working fine but all the pages go 404. does anybody know how to fix that?

i've tried deactivating all the plugins as well as installing the latest theme ver. (3.4.6) - nothing seems to help.

my url is memebee.com

Last edited by emily; Apr 4, 2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:08 PM
emily

2 posts · Apr 2010
solution here http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ight=pages+404

thanks juggledad

Last edited by emily; Apr 4, 2010 at 02:35 PM.