Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Changed board time to US Central Time and AM/PM

Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The huge majority of forum visitors are from the USA.

I changed the default forum time to US Central Time (New York) and AM/PM, and shortened the months from "February 3rd" to "Feb 3". This may lead to some time related confusion for the next 1-2 days.

You can set your own time zone in your profile
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:38 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hello Flynn! I came "down here" to "Forum Usage" to ask a question and saw your comment about having changed the Board time back in Feb.

While I'm not sure how "Board Time" relates to how I set "my time," I thought I should point out that no part of New York is in the US Central Time zone (you can see at http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-usa12.php). NY, like Maine (ME) where I am, is in the Eastern Time Zone.

Currently, in the USA, we've gone onto "Daylight Savings Time" -- having put our clocks forward an hour a couple of weeks ago. This makes us UTC/GMT-4 where we are usually UTC/GMT-5.

I see where Germany (in the Central European Time Zone) will go onto summer time on Mar 29 along with the UK and the rest of the EU. That should put me back to being 5 hours behind London and, I'm pretty sure, 6 hours behind you.

Whew! That's all just about confusing as the php code you're always posting for the rest of us to wonder at!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:15 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hello Flynn! I was wondering if there was something you needed to re-set. At the bottom of the Forum page it currently says "All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM."

That's funny because it IS 9:02 am here in the USA Eastern Time Zone. We advanced an hour a few weeks back going onto "Daylight Savings Time" (DST) which made us GMT-4 (we're usually UTC-5).

Now, I believe that the UK and Germany both advanced an hour onto "Summer Time" this past weekend. Shouldn't I now be back to being GMT -5 ?? (you will have continued to be UTC+1)

Note to Flynn: if you're not interested in this subject PLEASE just tell me to go find an "international time forum" somewhere where I can mull this over out loud. With "US" being spread all over the world and you being an hour the other side of Greenwich from most of us, if the Forum time is showing an hour or so plus or minus all is good!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:10 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Yes we got summer time a few days ago in Germany however the forum time is not connected to German time at all, at least it shouldn't be. If it matches NY time now that's fine. The web server that this forum runs on is in New York
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:09 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Flynn:

You're right! The Forum now matches the US Eastern time zone (currently DST - Daylight Savings Time).

I now see that UTC and GMT never change.

Right now London/GMT is on BST ("British Summer Time") and that's showing as GMT/UTC+1

So! GMT does not change, even when the British living in Greenwich have put their clocks ahead an hour -- they're at UTC/GMT+1.

And you're at UTC/GMT +2 hours -- CEST - Central European Summer Time

All is right in the world!