Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Text Link To A File

Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:49 PM
ChrisPanimation

68 posts · Nov 2009
Mississauga, ON
[SOLVED] Text Link To A File

Hey guys,
This seems like it should be straight forward but I'm not seeing how to do this - and can't find it in search...

How do I make a text link to a file. I want my visitors to be able to click on a text link so that they can download a file. (I don't want to link to a URL - but rather a file sitting in my ftp which can be downloaded by the visitor).

I'd like to do this in the center area in one of my pages.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
<a href="ftp://yourdomain.com/filelocation/filetodownload.txt">Download file</a>
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:15 AM
ChrisPanimation

68 posts · Nov 2009
Mississauga, ON
Thanks JD, I'll try that right now.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:49 AM
ChrisPanimation

68 posts · Nov 2009
Mississauga, ON
Like this?

<a href="ftp://animcareerpro.com/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/Flash_Workshop1_Ex.A.fla" >TestLink</a>

Note:
The file I want for download is: Flash_Workshop1_Ex.A.fla

Windows gave me this error message when I tried to download it from my site.
C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\Flash_Workshop1_Ex.A.fla could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
This is if I right click and go - "save link as"

If I just click on the link it times out.

Here's my site if you want to test it animcareerpro.com/blog - In the "Training Exercises" page.

Last edited by ChrisPanimation; Feb 14, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
It may have to do with the multiple '.' in the file name. why don't you zip the file
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:16 PM
ChrisPanimation

68 posts · Nov 2009
Mississauga, ON
Ok, I got rid to the "." and ziped it but that's not working. I'm getting the same message - been fussing with it for hours - any suggestions. I'm still working on it here...

<a href="ftp://animcareerpro.com/blog/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/Flash_Workshop1_ExerciseA.zip">TestLink</a>