Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Drop Down Menus for Newbie

Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
alirawk

4 posts · Feb 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via Skype™ to alirawk
I need help. A friend helped me get my website up, www.alimeghdadi.com. I need to figure out how to make drop down menus for the pages of my work. How does one do this?

I don't know a thing about computers. I'm doing my best to figure this out. I've downloaded lots of plugins, however none of them seem to have exact instructions for newbies.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sub menus are easy. Add a page and on the right hand side of the window is 'parent' where you can select the parent of this page. That is it, your done
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:51 PM
alirawk

4 posts · Feb 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have done that, and all it does is make the child page appear on my home below the parent page. I want to be able to roll the cursor over the parent page and have the children appear beneath it. I don't want the parent page to work as an active link, merely as a way to reveal the children underneath.

If you go to my site, www.alimeghdadi.com, you'll see I tried what you mentioned, and the pages appear as Test Parent, and Test Child 1 and Test Child 2.

Please help me with this,
I know there's a stupidly simple way to fix this, I'm just not particularly savvy in this area and likely missing the obvious.

Also, please forgive the simpleton nature of this query, I am totally new and trying to navigate this jargon laden field.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Oh I see, you want a dropdown menu in the sidebar. The WordPress default pages widget desn't do that. If you want something like that, you should search for a plugin and try out some and see if you can find one that does what you want.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 05:29 PM
alirawk

4 posts · Feb 2010
Los Angeles, CA
any suggestions?

i've found a few drop down menu suggestions but sooner or later I'm supposed to put some code in somewhere, but i don't know where or how really.

i can't stress how fantastically new i am to this.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:26 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The general consensus in the "web design world" is that top menus are preferred for drop down type menus since it is more intuitive to just click and then move your cursor down to the item you want vs clicking and sliding to the side and then down.

To make this as easy as possible for you maybe you should consider a slight redesign of your site to include page and/or category navigation at the top.

The easies menu plugin I have found to date for this is the Menubar plugin.

Last edited by lmilesw; Feb 28, 2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:11 PM
jkfly4

115 posts · Nov 2009
Hi

Would you know how do you get the menubar plugin to replace the theme menu bar.

I inserte dthe code into my header.php and it placed the bar below the theme bar at the top of my first post.

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you will note, lmilesw post was from two years ago.