Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

centering middle column with fixed width

Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:15 PM
dschapin@gmail.com

6 posts · Jul 2009
noho, ca
Send a message via AIM to dschapin@gmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to dschapin@gmail.com
I would like to have my center column centered and also a fixed width around 700xp.

(SO the posts are in the center and the widgets are also close by on the left and right sides columns.

I can get the posts themselves to change width but not the table.

here is what my site looks like, I need help also getting the sides widgets to have a background and rounded borders.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:51 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You should be able to achieve this by setting a fixed layout width and setting the sidebar width accordingly so you end up with [layout width] - [left sidebar] - [right sidebar] = 700 (for the center)

See

Style & Configure LAYLOUT -> Layout WIDTH and type (FLUID or FIXED)

and

Style & configure SIDEBARS -> LEFT sidebar width / RIGHT sidebar width
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
dschapin@gmail.com

6 posts · Jul 2009
noho, ca
Send a message via AIM to dschapin@gmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to dschapin@gmail.com
This does not achieve what my goal is, in fact it makes the center column crunched if the browser isnt big enough

I would like the center column to have its contents center justified and also a fixed width. please!!!!

Last edited by dschapin@gmail.com; Jul 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) what is the url
2) do you mean that when you add a post, you want the post title centered and justified and the post text centered and justified - ie so it looks like a 'block' of text ?

You can fix the width of the center colum by doing what Flynn suggested
1) determine how big your sidebars will be. Let's say you want them to be 150px each. That means the total space of the two sidebars is 300px. You want the center to be 700, so add the size of the sidebars - 300 + 700 = 1000px that is how big the entire width of the page will be. Now enter '1000px' in ATO->Style & Configure LAYLOUT -> Layout WIDTH and type (FLUID or FIXED)

If this is causing the 'crunched' you state, I'd need to see what you are talking about and a the more detail you can supply the easier it will be to get help
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:14 PM
dschapin@gmail.com

6 posts · Jul 2009
noho, ca
HI guys, thanks for helping, but think about it.

this is what happens,

when you set a fixed width, fixed sides, the center column is fluid, or changes sizes still.
so it gets squeezed.

I want the center column a fixed size and also to have everything in it center justified (the posts)

here try it www.realcelebritease.com
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
dschapin@gmail.com

6 posts · Jul 2009
noho, ca
Please
I am willing to donate if someone can help me with this task.

centering the middle column on the page, in fact centering the entire page.

on perez hilton's site perezhilton.com he has the everything centered and the outside columns justified to be right next to the center column. it leaves space on the sides for advertising, this is awesome. I want to be able to have the option of having all that space for the background

i have been trying to do this with this theme editor for a week and it doesn't seem possible without coding an entire new page.

Last edited by dschapin@gmail.com; Jul 24, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm even more confused. You site is a fixed width, the center column does not get crunched (at least not in safari or firefox and it seems to be acting just like the perezhilton.com site. I just don't understand your issue.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:09 PM
dschapin@gmail.com

6 posts · Jul 2009
noho, ca
hi thanks for checking, I have it close to perez's site, the only difference is that the headline image stretches and is not fixed, the background image covers a large area. I want to be able to do that, which I think you need a fluid width to do.