Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

2 columns for posts on blog home page?

Old May 12, 2010, 05:30 AM
darmanpurba@gmail.com

20 posts · Jul 2009
Send a message via Skype™ to darmanpurba@gmail.com
Hello Juggledad and Flyn, please help.
I have look for magazine theme anywhere, I saw in this Atahualpa is discussed.
I have tried to use the code attached to make in to 2-3 column. Loop is worked, but it's repeated continuously after the end of post count. How can I limit the post displayed?
Thanks for help.

www.darmanpurba.com
Old May 14, 2010, 08:52 AM
mnl

27 posts · Mar 2010
Hi. I've successfully used the suggested technique and created a building directory page for my client's site. I created each tenant entry in a blog post and they show on the directory page. In wp settings, i made the directory the posts front page. i've looked through the code and alahualpa settings and i need help with some things.

1 the two columns are not even; the right column is narrow. where can i control the width of the components of this dynamically built page?
2 the headings for each entry are hot; i'd like them to just be displayed. can i turn off the link characteristics?
3 i'd like to build a template for the tenant directory blog posts so it's easy to add more entries and to make all the entries consistent (i'm having difficulty lining everything up). it's not clear to me how to do that. is it possible?
4 each tenant post is categorized by its floor number. i want to show the floor category menu on the business directory page only and have the two column display of those businesses on the floor when the category is clicked. will the home.php file control that too?

here's the url: http://7pineplaza.com/wordpress/directory/

thank you so much for your help!

regards
mike

edit: for number 3, above, i'm creating posts with tables to keep things aligned. how can i build a template so my client can add a new tenant after i turn the solution over to her? i've address #4 with the inner sidebar holding the categories.

Last edited by mnl; May 16, 2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the two columns are the same size when I look at them (Safari on a Mac)
Old May 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
mnl

27 posts · Mar 2010
thanks for your reply. even if they are the same, which css or php file controls the column widths?
Old May 14, 2010, 03:15 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Similar issues as mnl.

Atahualpa 3.4.6, WP 2.9.2

After following the instructions to get two columns (using the first set of instructions posted by Flyn on this thread) it seems that on the home page the column width does not remain within the center column, and the excerpts are not recognised (texts are shown in full and thumbnails don't appear)

On the second page of posts things appear as I expected them to.

http://www.susanne.treacletheatre.co...press/?paged=2
http://www.susanne.treacletheatre.co.uk/wordpress/

(ignore content, I'm just playing with old posts from my other site to get an initial layout sorted)

Thanks, Kaspar

Current index:

PHP Code:
      <?php /* get all options: */

include (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');

get_header
(); ?>

<?php /* If there are any posts: */

if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0/* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the next/previous post or page navigation.
      This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */

bfa_center_content
($bfa_ata['content_above_loop']); ?>

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
      <?php $column 1?>
      <?php // The LOOP. Do this for all posts:

while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>

<?php if ($column == 1) echo "<tr>"?>

<td class="column<?php echo $col;?>" style="vertical-align: top">

<?php /* Add Odd or Even post class so post containers can get alternating CSS style (optional) */

$odd_or_even 
= (($bfa_ata['postcount'] % 2) ? 'odd-post' 'even-post' ); ?>

<?php /* This is the actual Wordpress LOOP.
      The output can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */

bfa_center_content
($bfa_ata['content_inside_loop']); ?>

</td>

<?php if ($column == 2) echo "</tr>"; (($column==1) ? $column=$column=1); ?>

<?php // END of the LOOP

endwhile; ?>
      </table>

<?php /* This outputs the next/previous post or page navigation and the comment template.
      This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */

bfa_center_content
($bfa_ata['content_below_loop']); ?>

<?php /* END of: If there are any posts */

else : /* If there are no posts: */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the "Not Found" content, if neither posts, pages nor attachments are available for the requested page.

bfa_center_content
($bfa_ata['content_not_found']); ?>

<?php endif; /* END of: If there are no posts */ ?>

<?php bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['center_content_bottom']); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

Last edited by kaspar.wimberley; May 15, 2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: additional information
Old May 15, 2010, 06:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
try this, add this to ATO->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
.column {width: 50%;}
Old May 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Hiya,
I gave it a go but no luck. It does help, but only on the 2nd page of posts, where the columns now expand in equal proportions. So a big thank-you there. But on the home page still no change. All these ATO parameters seem to be bypassed, what with all the lack of excerpts or thumbnails too.

Last edited by kaspar.wimberley; May 15, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:22 AM
mnl

27 posts · Mar 2010
hi. i have just one more problem that i don't know how to address: i used the two column solution to make the building directory. it looks very cool! each entry is a post (the rest of the site are pages) and i categorize them by floor.

http://7pineplaza.com/wordpress/directory/

i want to turn the site on and give it to the client so she can update the tenants as necessary.

i need to be able to order the posts, either alpha by title or by suite number. how can i do that, please?
Old May 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
reaus

3 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar.wimberley
Hiya,
I gave it a go but no luck. It does help, but only on the 2nd page of posts, where the columns now expand in equal proportions. So a big thank-you there. But on the home page still no change. All these ATO parameters seem to be bypassed, what with all the lack of excerpts or thumbnails too.
I have the exact same problem, does anyone know how to solve this?

My goal is to get 3 columns for posts at the homepage, but due to the troubles I'm starting with two just to see how that goes.
Currently I'm still using Atahualpa version 3.4.9 at http://wp.beauty.nu

Many thanks in advance!
Old May 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
not that this will fix your problem, but upgrade to 3.5.1
Old May 30, 2010, 11:48 AM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
Just because I've gone away for a while doesn't mean I'm still struggling with this issue! Interesting that other people are experiencing the same problem.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:35 PM
SJSchafer

21 posts · Jun 2010
I have a question that a few others have asked but not had answered yet. My current layout is that I have the most recent post showing as the full post and the rest showing as excerpts. I want to be able to have the most recent post show normally, with the excerpts showing in 2 columns. Is this possible? The site in question is http://solarlightssite.com/.

*edit - Just to clarify, I would like the two columns to be for all of the pages that have excerpts, like the tags and cat pages, etc., NOT on single post pages.

Last edited by SJSchafer; Jun 7, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:08 AM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
reaus you seem to have achieved the two column solution on your home page. How did you solve the problem (I assume it is still the A theme)? Any help greatly appreciated.
K
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
reaus

3 posts · May 2010
@ kaspar.wimberley I figured that it might help to change the width of the center column(style & edit center column)....and to my surprise it actually worked
As simple as that haha! Never thought of it before though
Old Jun 10, 2010, 02:22 AM
reaus

3 posts · May 2010
I managed to get my posts to show into two columns, but when I go to a single post it stills show in the same width as on the home/cat page. Is it possible to edit this width?

+ Since I've changed my lay-out into 2 columns the website is messed up in IE, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks so much in advance! ATA theme is the best

http://wp.beauty.nu/
ATA version 3.5.1
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:01 AM
5thbeatle

7 posts · Jun 2010
Marin County, CA>
So I did this:

www.prthatroxxx.com

but I cant get the 2 columns to go back to excerpts, they remain full post, and I have all set the settings to excerpts. ? This is perfect theme for my client! He will donate _something_ I just gotta show some results.

I need two columns separable by two categories, which I think I have already done... but cant get posts to go back to excerpts.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
@reaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaus
@ kaspar.wimberley I figured that it might help to change the width of the center column(style & edit center column)....and to my surprise it actually worked
No luck for me I'm afraid. How exactly did you go about doing this - tried everything now but maybe I missed something here...
Thanks, Kaspar
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
kaspar.wimberley

24 posts · May 2010
Stuttgart
I have now updated to the latest AT in the hope that this might help. Wordpress 3 too.

With the new version of AT the original instructions in this thread for editing the index file (to split the center column into two columns for the posts) doesn't work.

Is there anybody out there who can post new instructions!

Thanks,
Kaspar
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I just tested this in wp 3.0 atahualpa 3.5.1 and it works fine. IF THIS IS A NEW SITE Start by importing the 'ata-classic.txt' style then follow the instructions given and it works fine.

Some of the new styles have css that will prevent this from working.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:00 PM
5thbeatle

7 posts · Jun 2010
Marin County, CA>
Juggledad thanks for the help on the browser mishap! Flynn's Oct 2008 Post on making 2 columns worked perfectly for me so far. Any pointers on getting the posts to be assignable in one of only two category's and down the page not across?

See:

www.prthatroxxx.com

I want one column of press releases and one column of press coverage, cat 1 and cat 2. Appreciate any help! I am intermediate .php .css .html guy.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well I just published a page templete in the Gold Forum Tutorials, that lets you put a custom query on the page. That might help you out, you could specify the query to be only those two categories.

As for going down the page vers aross, that would envolve a bit of coding since you would have to fires find out how many posts allowed on the page, then read all the posts to find out how many there are (assuming that you want the two columns to be balanced) they you would need two queries, one for the left colum and one from teh right - the right one starting at the half way point of the total posts. Then you could code the html to display the posts.

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 9, 2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:52 AM
SJSchafer

21 posts · Jun 2010
Still not getting an answer. Is it possible to have the most recent post as a full post showing up normally and have the excerpts show up in columns?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
5thbeatle

7 posts · Jun 2010
Marin County, CA>
Hi Juggledad ! 5thbeatle here ... thanks I had my client donate $20 and as we move forward we can do more. I will be diving into your post in the Gold Forum soon when a get break to work on this site again. Cheers!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 04:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
to everyone asking the question
Quote:
Is it possible to have the most recent post as a full post showing up normally and have the excerpts show up in columns?
the answer is probably. You will have to change the code so that the first query returned create a table column that spans the two rows in the table.

If I get time (paying customers, my volunteer work, house chores all come first) I may take a look at this and figure out exactly what coding changes are needed and put it into a template.

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 9, 2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
SJSchafer

21 posts · Jun 2010
Thanks. I would appreciate that. It is the only thing keeping this from being perfect for a "supersite" ready theme.