Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Home Page Icon Disappears from the menu when home page set as static page

Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:36 PM
beerboy

6 posts · Mar 2015
Firstly great theme.

Whenever I make my home page a static page the icon in the menu disappears.

No set static pages or posts everything works fine

Tried another theme and it stays where it should. I am sure I am missing something simple
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
It works that way by design. You have multiple ways to get back to the front page (1) click the Site namein the header (2) click the 'home' icon in the bar just below the header (3) use the back arrows on your browser.

However, if you feel you need it in the menu you have two options:
1) use a custom menu (dashboard->appearances->menus - build a menu and select Theme locations 'Menu 1'
2) edit the code
edit montezuma/includes/menu.php and change lines 38-41 from
HTML Code:
	// If the front page is a page, add it to the exclude list
	if( get_option( 'show_on_front' ) == 'page' ) {
		$args['exclude'] = get_option( 'page_on_front' );
	}
to
HTML Code:
//	if( get_option( 'show_on_front' ) == 'page' ) {
//		$args['exclude'] = get_option( 'page_on_front' );
//	}
if you choose to edit the code remember you will need to do it each time there is an upgrade.

If you can come up with a reallly good argument that is should be in the menu, I'll pass it on to Flynn and see what his take is and maybe it will be changed.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:46 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Strange, I don't observe the same behavior on my test site when i switch to a static home page, but maybe I've made so many changes to my test site that something isn't apparent. So the menu icons disappear when a static page is selected as the home page? Beerboy, can you post a link to your site?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:02 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
@CB: lets say you have Page 1, Page 2 and Sample page. In the MENU you will see
Page 1 Page 2 Sample Page
if you set page 2 as the front page displays, the menu will show
Page 1 Sample Page
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:22 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Ah, OK, now I understand. I thought Beerboy was referring to just the star icons and not the entire menu item. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:31 PM
beerboy

6 posts · Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
@CB: lets say you have Page 1, Page 2 and Sample page. In the MENU you will see
Page 1 Page 2 Sample Page
if you set page 2 as the front page displays, the menu will show
Page 1 Sample Page
Many thanks for the clarity. It just seams a bit illogical to me that once you set the page as a static it no longer shows as a menu item. I like the fact that all pages created are on the menu. maybe its just me. thanks again
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:39 PM
beerboy

6 posts · Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
It works that way by design. You have multiple ways to get back to the front page (1) click the Site namein the header (2) click the 'home' icon in the bar just below the header (3) use the back arrows on your browser.

However, if you feel you need it in the menu you have two options:
1) use a custom menu (dashboard->appearances->menus - build a menu and select Theme locations 'Menu 1'
2) edit the code
edit montezuma/includes/menu.php and change lines 38-41 from
HTML Code:
	if( get_option( 'show_on_front' ) == 'page' ) {
		$args['exclude'] = get_option( 'page_on_front' );
	}
to
HTML Code:
//	if( get_option( 'show_on_front' ) == 'page' ) {
//		$args['exclude'] = get_option( 'page_on_front' );
//	}
if you choose to edit the code remember you will need to do it each time there is an upgrade.

If you can come up with a reallly good argument that is should be in the menu, I'll pass it on to Flynn and see what his take is and maybe it will be changed.
Great thanks for the clear explaination and that's worked perfectly.