Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] No Idea Where To Post This...First Time Caller!

Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:29 PM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Hi all, I am very new to this theme and to wordpress in general, but here is what I have hacked together using this theme, and the wordpress server for the first time:

http://www.serengetiballoonsafaris.c..._Whistles.html
http://web.me.com/studiosphoenix/sto...e/Stories.html

Is this anywhere close to being right? I have no idea really, but it looks right in the sense that it does what I want it too

Perhaps there is a free tutorial somewhere that's an easy read and goes along the lines of Wordpress Options for Dummies.

The one problem that I have, and other users will too, is the links in the footer (I've emailed Flynn). But it's not just the footer links, it's any link inside this implementation: an iFrame. All external links want to pop up inside the iFrame, which just confuses the crap outta the average Nepali user. I am wondering if there is a workaround....

Cheers
Jigs in Nepal

Last edited by poorthirdworldcountry; Jan 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Where did you build the site? Who is the host?

This is a non-standard wordpress install and I'm not going to be able to help much It looks like they build a wrapper arround your Atahualpa design and that is why things loook the way they do.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:14 AM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Where did you build the site? Who is the host?

This is a non-standard wordpress install and I'm not going to be able to help much It looks like they build a wrapper arround your Atahualpa design and that is why things loook the way they do.
Ha! That would be me who built this thing, it's an iWeb site being hosted NOT on mobileme, hence the need for Wordpress. I just used an iFrame to include the Wordpress which I have set up on another server (somewhere). I got this tip from iWebFAQs.org where Cedric recommends this method, I think, not sure cause I can't parse his documentation very well.

I am a pretty experienced web developer even if this site does not show it But my first thought was to just replicate the design of the iweb site using this template, ie have a completely different site just for the blog page that looked just like the iWeb pages, but to me that seems like a LOT of work. My problem is that I have never touched Wordpress before this exercise, so I am in learning mode, and I don't even know if my first thought is even possible. My second and lazy thought was just to use iFrame, which I have done with iWeb for other things, and it works...sorta. So this is where we are...it works I think, but any external link - like the one in the footer - messes up my plan. I don't want people surfing inside my iFrame

So I am wondering if there is anyway to just restrict all links to external sites in Wordpress. That would solve my concern. I nned to turn off the ability for users to put add their website, which loads inside the iframe - not good - but there is still that footer... What I don't understand is why Intense Debates creates the right kind of links, ie. target _blank and other developers did not

But feel free to tell me if I have made a great error in my plan! thx,
jigs

Last edited by poorthirdworldcountry; Jan 25, 2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: add info on wishing everything was "target=_blank" that needs to be.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Okay, I just need to figure out how to show the comments expanded, and not collapsed at this point and I will be happy. Anyone? Cheers,
ptwc
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
not sure what you mean by showing the comments expanded - expanded how. If I go to one of your posts, it looks like all the comments are there, what are you looking for?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:19 AM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
not sure what you mean by showing the comments expanded - expanded how. If I go to one of your posts, it looks like all the comments are there, what are you looking for?
thx for trying to understand this juggledad. When the user first hits the page, the comments are rolled up. is there a way that I can adjust a setting so the comments just all appear, without a user click to expand out the comments. is this even possible? thx!!!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:46 PM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Any more help here? Maybe comments are always "rolled up" ie not displayed in a list without the user clicking, but it sure would be nice to have the comments listed and the reply box shown without any user interaction. Cheers!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=2423
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:37 AM
poorthirdworldcountry

9 posts · Jan 2010
Kathmandu Nepal
Perfect, thx so much!