Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

LIST POST TITLES ONLY on Category Pages - HELP!!

Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:57 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
I want to list POST TITLES ONLY without excerpts on the Category Pages.

There is no archives.php for editing in the theme, and I have tried a couple of plugins and hacks but they require editing of the archives.php file, which is not in the theme folder.

Is there anyway to accomplish listing titles only?

Using Atahualpa 3.5.3 with WP 3.1

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Check out the List Category Posts plugin.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Thank for replying, but this is another of many plugins that requires theme files editing, this one says you have to add short codes to the default.php file, which is not listed in this theme.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You just add shortcodes to a page or post. I'm not sure where you saw the note about adding to the default.php. To show a list of posts from a particular category you would use the code below in a page or post. You can add other parameters to the shortcode to order in a particular, show excerpts or full posts if you want, exclude categories, and on and on (See the Other Notes tab on the page I gave you a link to. Here a link to a page I use this plugin for listing all the titles of the posts in a particular category.
HTML Code:
[catlist id=99]
The code above would show all the post titles from the category with an ID of 99
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:21 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I took a quick look and it appears the default.php is in reference to creating templates for the plugin. I have never found that necessary.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
You just add shortcodes to a page or post. I'm not sure where you saw the note about adding to the default.php. To show a list of posts from a particular category you would use the code below in a page or post. You can add other parameters to the shortcode to order in a particular, show excerpts or full posts if you want, exclude categories, and on and on (See the Other Notes tab on the page I gave you a link to. Here a link to a page I use this plugin for listing all the titles of the posts in a particular category.
HTML Code:
[catlist id=99]
The code above would show all the post titles from the category with an ID of 99

Okay, but here is where I am lost, I want to add these to the Category Archive Pages. So I have set up the Category Menus in Ataluhpa in the header, when I click on a category there I am getting post listings for that category but they are including excerpts, comments counts, tags etc, same as the home page, BUT, all I want them to show is just a hyperlink list of the Posts under that category.

So when you say "add shortcodes to a page or post" how does that work for adding it to the category archives? This theme has no archives.php file to edit, so I am not sure how to add the short code from this plugin or any other for that matter to display in category archive pages...make sense?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:29 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
the link you gave me is the EXACTLY the way I want to list all posts in the Category archive pages
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
And here is the exact code I use for that after installing the List Category Posts plugn.

HTML Code:
[catlist id=8 numberposts=-1 orderby=title order=asc]
Of course your category Id will be different.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:40 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
And here is the exact code I use for that after installing the List Category Posts plugn.

HTML Code:
[catlist id=8 numberposts=-1 orderby=title order=asc]
Of course your category Id will be different.
So you placed that code on the individual page you published correct? But where do I put that code for editing those Category Archives, that code would have to go into the theme somewhere in order to have that output on the category archives? Those archives are not created by me by hand, they are automatically created by the theme, so I am still not sure where to put that code
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
I guess the ultimate question is where in the theme can you edit the category archive pages?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
As I suggested in the other post, put an if around the bfa_post_bodycopy in 'The LOOP'
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:01 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
As I suggested in the other post, put an if around the bfa_post_bodycopy in 'The LOOP'
Would you happen to know what that code is, I understand I need to place some if php conditions for the category pages and I am searching over at Wordpress Codex but I have very limited knowledge of PHP and it's just completely confusing me.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Why not just create a page and use the plugin?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Why not just create a page and use the plugin?
Well I cannot just create a page for this because the Category pages is where I want the post titles and Category pages are specific archive pages that are created automatically in Wordpress, and listed automatically in the category header menu in the Atahualpa theme, so I need to call up those pages in PHP and then add the coding for how I want the posts displayed on those pages, at least that is my understanding.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I really don't understand what you want. In one post you said the page I showed you was exactly what you wanted. So...
  • Install List Category Posts
  • Create page named Archives
  • Put the shortcode in the page with any other text you want
  • Add the page to the menu
You will now have a page called Archives that will list the titles of all the posts from the categories desired. Isn't that what you want?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
I really don't understand what you want. In one post you said the page I showed you was exactly what you wanted. So...
  • Install List Category Posts
  • Create page named Archives
  • Put the shortcode in the page with any other text you want
  • Add the page to the menu
You will now have a page called Archives that will list the titles of all the posts from the categories desired. Isn't that what you want?
No, what I meant was how your posts were displayed is what I wanted, BUT, I want that type of display on the actual Worpdress Category Pages, in Atahualpa you can add a Header Menu that adds the category pages from Wordpress, so if you look at my site: http://getinternetmarketingstrategies.com/ you will see my categories listed in the tan area of the header starting with Search Engine Optimization. When posts are created I select certain categories to put them in and category pages are created in the background of Wordpress, these pages are NOT created manually as your page was where you added your archives.

If you click on any of my categories you will see the excerpts and bylines and I want to eliminate those, I would like the display to be like on this page: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/category/social-media/, where their category pages only show post titles and not excerpts. They achieved that by editing archives.php which this theme does not have, so I need to figure out how to have this theme output post titles only on Category Pages.

Make sense?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I guess I was thinking you could create pages for all the categories and make your own "custom" category pages.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
I guess I was thinking you could create pages for all the categories and make your own "custom" category pages.
I really appreciate your effort, but unfortunately that will not work. i could create those custom pages, but then they will not auto display in that header and i will have to manually fix them each time i post.

I am out of ideas, tried a bunch of php codes, but none work, sent an email to the developer, maybe he will reply with a fix. My site has so much traffic and the categories have a lot of posts and they way they display now is not user-friendly at all.

But thank you so much for trying. I might actually use your fix to display categories in my sidebar instead of the plugin I use now, and maybe eliminate that header all together if he does not respond.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:43 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
What do you mean the pages will not auto display in the header? Are you saying that when you create a new category they will not display without creating a new page? While it is true you would need to create a new page anytime you created a category you would not have to do anything each time you post. For instance if you created a "Search Engine Optimization" category page and used the plugin I mentioned to populate it all new posts would automatically be there.

I would really like to understand what you are trying to do if the above is not accurate.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try this, at ato->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->The LOOP change it to this (note this will work as long as you haven't previously changed 'The LOOP'

HTML Code:
<?php /* For SINGLE post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_post_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class("$odd_or_even"); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . $odd_or_even . ' post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_post_kicker('<div class="post-kicker">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?>
<?php if (!is_category()) { ?>
<?php bfa_post_byline('<div class="post-byline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_bodycopy('<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination('<p class="post-pagination"><strong>'.__('Pages:','atahualpa').'</strong>','</p>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>
<?php }; ?>
</div><!-- / Post -->
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
genuwine4532

37 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
try this, at ato->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN->The LOOP change it to this (note this will work as long as you haven't previously changed 'The LOOP'

HTML Code:
<?php /* For SINGLE post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_post_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class("$odd_or_even"); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . $odd_or_even . ' post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_post_kicker('<div class="post-kicker">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?>
<?php if (!is_category()) { ?>
<?php bfa_post_byline('<div class="post-byline">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_bodycopy('<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">','</div>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination('<p class="post-pagination"><strong>'.__('Pages:','atahualpa').'</strong>','</p>'); ?>

<?php bfa_post_footer('<div class="post-footer">','</div>'); ?>
<?php }; ?>
</div><!-- / Post -->
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES YES YES!!! Thank you so much, it's perfect now!!! I really appreciate it!!!