Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Tag Cloud Help Please!

Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
pebblestew

7 posts · Feb 2012
I would like to make the links in my tag cloud have different colors (random is fine). I have altered the tag cloud widget to show all of my tags already, so I really don't want to use a new tag cloud widget if possible. Can someone point me to code that I can use to color the different tags? Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can use the Firebug extension for Firefox to determine the selectors then apply the necessary CSS.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
pebblestew

7 posts · Feb 2012
Thanks for your response Larry...I am not sure what the Firebug extension, or selectors are though. I've pretty much been feeling my way along with cuts and pastes if someone can show me what the individual parts of a code's syntax mean.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Firebug lets you see what selectors you need to apply CSS to. There is no universal code to apply colors to various elements.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
without knowing what widget and seeing the page there is no way to guess what the ID's or CLASS's the widget is producing. This is not part of the theme, it is eithor part of Wordpress or some plugin....
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
pebblestew

7 posts · Feb 2012
That program is way too advanced. I don't even know what a tgz file is! Anyone else got a different idea for me?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
go to a page, view the source, find the tag cloud and look at the code to determine the class's and id's

If you don't know how to do this, then you need to learn how, maybe change your idea, possible hire some one to do it or teach you. I think the best solution is learn how to do it. Read up about how to create CSS selectors and rules. Three years ago I didn't know any CSS or anything about Atahualpa but I learned it a little at a time and I played with things (having a test site is a very sueful thing, you can mess it up and that's ok)

I also will view a page, view the source, copy it and put it in a text tile with an 'html' extension and then open that file in my browser. Then you can go in and edit the file, save it, refresh the browser and see the change right away.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
pebblestew

7 posts · Feb 2012
Thanks juggledad. I definitely want to learn how, which is why I asked for code samples! I've never done any coding/programming in any language, so the learning curve is pretty steep. I did manage to take the standard 45 tag limit and increase it to 300, and decrease font size, but I was able to google code snippets so I could see what the syntax looks like, and where in the source code the code should be pasted. That's what I'm trying to do here- I'm not sure if there are existing functions that I should use, if the function is already in the code with tags set to shades of gray, or if I have to use a pre-made plug-in or widget. It was a Wordpress widget called "Tag Cloud" (Your most used tags in cloud format) but I don't know if it had a name or version number beyond that.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
There are many places to help with learning CSS such as w3schools.com. This theme is built with the idea of making changes in the theme options so you don't have to touch the theme files. To use is successfully though does require learning how to use some of the development tools out there such as Firebug. That is not unique to this theme however. Any web development requires using those tools.

If we had a link to your site we could perhaps give you examples of code but we can't do that for every change you want to make as it would make this a full time job.

As Juggledad indicated you need to hang in at the beginning and this will start to make sense.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
pebblestew

7 posts · Feb 2012
Thanks much guys! I'll do some reading and when I know enough to ask specific questions, I'll repost.