Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Move sidebar up

Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
HenkP

2 posts · Dec 2010
Netherlands
Hi,

First of all thanks for a lovely theme. I have tried to get specific layout / style for a new website, Atahualpa was by far easiest theme to use.

I would like to move the left sidebar up with a fixed number of pixels to make it properly align with the top menu bars and the rotating header image (which has left margin of 200 px). Currently using Dynamic Headers for the rotaing header image, don't want header image on all pages. Also with default rotating header image I can't get this to work.

I know it's possible, done this already some time ago, however didn't write-up the necessary changes. If I remember correctly it was just setting top margin on some page element, not sure though.

I have also tried inserting Dynamic Headers in standard imagecontainer (%image) by making small change in php code. This works fine, however on pages which have no image set the imagecontainer keeps set height, so instead of image large white space is shown.

Website is http://www.dafclub-oud.nl/wordpress/. WP 3.0.3, Atahualpa 3.4.9

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by HenkP; Dec 21, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add some version info
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I tried the absolute positioning but had problems in IE. It could have just been my test site which is a mess so go ahead and try it but I just wanted you to know what happened to me in case it happens to you.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:20 AM
HenkP

2 posts · Dec 2010
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
You could set the left sidebar to postion: absolute;

and then do the subsequent styling: set a negative top margin to slide it up, and set the correct width, etc.
Thank you both for fast response.

Position absolute on td#left will mess up complete layout, even if I set position static or relative on tr#bodyrow, at least in IE7/8 (which I prefer for testing, if it works in IE it will most of the time also render OK in other browsers), so same experience as Larry.

With position relative on td#left I can move the Sidebar(s) up, however on pages without the header image it will then move up too far.

I think I will try and find a way to set the image to appear at the top of Main Column (td#id middle), just need to figure out how to get this done (without getting text around the image). Suggestions welcome! OK, this idea basically works fine.

After installing the Dynamic Headers plugin you only need to add the following code at the top of "ATA options, Style and Edit Center Colum, CONTENT ABOVE THE LOOP"

Code:
<div id="head_img"><?php if(function_exists('show_media_header')){ show_media_header(); } ?></div>

Quote:
Please explain how you made the image container not show up for some pages, what/where did you change in php.
Else it would be hard for others to help and explain how to do what you want.

I'm using Dynamic Headers plugin, using the code below to configure the header area:

Code:
%logo %pages %cat-right <div id="head_img"><?php if(function_exists('show_media_header')){ show_media_header(); } ?></div>
Then css inserts to set margin on div created with code above. No changes in php required to get this done. If you want the image to appear in original imagecontainer you need to change some code, if anyone is interested I can post.

Last edited by HenkP; Dec 23, 2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: managed to get things working, some typos and styling
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
One suggestion that make things a bit easier is to set the width of the layout to static.