Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

Backing up?

Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:41 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
My WP installation is on a Unix server farm called Prohosting.com. Very nice folks to work with, and I've been using them for over 10 years.

They do a tape backup every day, but they say it's just for real emergencies. I think they mean something catastrophic on their end, like a fire or tornado.

Up to now, our community newspaper site has been all done via Dreamweaver, regular HTML files, so my partner and I have each have the whole site on our home computers (we're a 2-person team with volunteer reporters in our town) as another backup. Now, with Wordpress, of course, we won't have the full site on our home computers anymore because it's in the database on the server. All we'll have will be the source emails and Word docs we use to create the WP posts.

The other day, I asked Prohosting to do a backup of the test WP files. They did, and then I got an email saying we'd gone over our disk storage quota. The "dump" had created a huge file. (NOTE: I do have 3 installations of Wordpress right now, to easily test various themes and options.) Obviously, that's not the thing to be doing.

What do you recommend? Do we even need to do some kind of backup other than the tape backup done by Prohosting every day?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I don't know whether the backups of your provider include backups of the mysql databases too, they probably do. You should also be able to backup a database with PHPMyAdmin
Old Aug 7, 2009, 03:53 AM
sc0rpi0n

1 posts · Aug 2009
Yo can cheak out this site www.sarojligal.co.cc .There is a complete tutorial on how to back up your wordpress data, and the mysql database as well.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
sultandc

2 posts · Jun 2009
thanks for this link!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:52 AM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
I recommend this plugin for your database plugin:

http://lesterchan.net/portfolio/prog.../#wp-dbmanager

You can set it to backup your database at regular intervals to your email address automatically.