Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Odd CSS issue

Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
I am having a very odd issue, I search the forum and think this is not going to fit well in any subs...so:

The sites are
http://blog.swansonphotosonline.com
and
http://swansonheritage.com

Both sites use the same plugins, same theme, this one, Atahualpa 3.7.1.

I have deactivated my cache plug-in and turned debug on and would very much appreciate it if someone could look at this issue:

The sites were 'compliant' when using the W3 Schools XHTML Validation tool previously. Now some errant code is being generated and I cannot for the life of me discover what code or file it is coming from...This is after update to 3.7.1.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...onheritage.com

And:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=bl...otosonline.com

I am only concerned about the first two items and the only two on the second link (the others are from embeds)...

Quote:
…;display:block;padding:0;margin:0}</LI></A>.stylecustomfooter{padding:4px 4px …

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.
The </LI></A> is the issue. The next line is the first line in my CSS Inserts.

So what generates the code just before that? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
take a look at the theme file 'css.php' and see if lines 2922 to 2934 are the following
HTML Code:
.clearboth {
	clear: both;
	height: 1%;
	font-size: 1%;
	line-height: 1%;
	display: block;
	padding: 0;
	margin: 0;
	}

<?php 
bfa_incl('html_inserts_css'); 
if they are, do an export of your settings (ATO-.Export/import settings->Export) and attach them to a reply
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:26 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
Yes, it was there! I removed it on both sites and the validation passes now. I had checked it, obviously I have dome some customization in css.php. Still not sure where it came from other than my own old fingers!

Thanks!

Juggledad,

Any plans on making Atahualpa CSS3 compliant? According to the (CSS3) CSS Validator at W3 Schools, the CSS for my sites are closer to CSS3 than they are to 2.1.

This is about half of the listed issues, I do see this also in css.php:

Quote:
Lexical error at line 1, column 26112. Encountered: "&" (38), after : "" &gt;
Most the others I can fix easily.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I have no idea if the developer (Flynn) has plans to make it pass the validators. I have a problem with the valuators, they don't agree and they don't handle all cases. Take the instance of putting a comment in the css. If I start a comment in the css ANYTHING in the comment should be ignored by the validator, but the are not. To show this, go to ATO->Configure CSS & JS->CSS: Compress? and set it to NO then do the validation. Half the errors will crop up because of things in the comments.

Run the same code thru multiple validators and you get different results, so the question has to be posed "How valid are the validators?'

My test is 'Does the page render in the different browsers?' if the answer is yes then I (personally) don't have an issue
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:50 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
One more thing. I used the Wordpress built-in 'Gallery' to make this 'Snowtober' post.

According to the XHTML validator, Gallery is inserting text/css into the body of the page.

Anyone have a workaround to not have Gallery insert CSS style outside the head?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
Yes, Juggledad, I do check to see how things look in the (5) major Browsers (to which there is an update weekly these days to at least one of them) , and even check the sites in IE compliant modes.

Speaking of that, take an look at the ads in the right sidebar lower for Swanson Photo's Online - in Firefox 7 and now 8, there is an extra 'gap' after the text, but NOT in IE9, but is in IE7 compliant mode (not in IE8) - very frustrating.

I also agree about the validators, I try to at least review what they say, sometimes it is errant code that causes the issue, often not...Just trying to be thorough.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I don't see how it could be moved to the header.
The <head>...</head> is built before the loop is run to look at the posts. Only when the post is processed will the wordpress gallery code be run - which creates the <style> you see - so unless every post and page on your site was processed while building the <head>...</head> to put in what ever CSS might be used, it can't be done. And think of the performance it if every time you went to a post or page every post had to be processed, it would be unacceptable.

Really, is there a reason you are worried about passing the validation?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:28 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
Thanks for the feedback, Juggledad...

I am not sure that having a few extra lines added to the already enormous CSS as generated by Atahualpa would be an issue. Additionally, NextGen Gallery, used in the post Skyland Vacation 2011, passes the validator, uses CSS, so the CSS style calls must not be inserted into the body?

One thing that the CSS validators do is show us how little of the generated CSS is actually used (on my sites at least).

(Not trying to be critical, just noting these items, I have tried other themes and there is a reason so many use Atahualpa, it's the best (overall)!)

I asked here first to see if anyone knew of a known issue with the theme and Gallery before I went to the Wordpress Forums...

Anyone?

Again, Thanks!