Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Database performance issue with 3.7.23

Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:23 AM
foschizzle

2 posts · Dec 2013
I've noticed that Atahualpa performs a ~20k SQL update of wp_options where name='bfa_ata4' on a large percentage of uncached page views. This causes a large amount of unnecessary Mysql write activity and can be a large drain on performance - impacting not just the page view but the entire server.

It appears to just be making the same change back and forth:

h_blogtitle;i:1 to h_blogtitle;i,2 and h_posttitle;i:1 to h_posttitle;i:2

the next update then reverses it.

It would seem that it may be the code in bfa_get_options.php around line 506:

if ( $bfa_ata['h1_on_single_pages'] == "Yes" AND ( is_single() OR is_page() ) ) {
$bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'] = 2; $bfa_ata['h_posttitle'] = 1;
} else {
$bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'] = 1; $bfa_ata['h_posttitle'] = 2;
}

Thanks for looking at this.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
How did you determine it was doing an MySQL update?

As far as I know, the only time an update to wp-options table is done is in the backend when you hit the save button.

Now, you will see a get each time a page is requested to get the one row in the database (the 'bfa_ata4' row) which contains all the options. The code you are pointing to has not changed since at least 3.7.15 and probably earlier. That code is just flipping the values of two variables in an array. No MySql call at all.