Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Atahualpa 4.0 = responsive

Old Sep 1, 2014, 03:47 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
Any news on the coming Atahualpa 4.0, a fully responsive theme?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 06:03 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Yes Atahualpa 4 will be fully responsive, and modular.

I am working on the last few things. I refactored everything once again to make it very WP compliant, lighter, easier to understand and modular.

- I threw away a new feature where you could build layouts with shortcodes, as a middle ground between "point and click" and "child themes". Similar to what Montezuma has, but with shortcodes instead of pseudo PHP code. However these "middle layers" apparently do not provide enough value while necessarily making the theme structure unorthodox and thus surpsrising (and annoying) for more experienced users who want to look under the hood and perhaps make a child theme.

- Yesterday I threw away the OOP oriented "options engine" I had made. Like all other existing option frameworks it grew big and complicated, while still not being able to cover every theme option page layout need. The new options engine is just 1 file of 10 kbyte. It is still OOP and still uses the WP Settings API and validation but without some of the unnecessary functions that WP provides, which do nothing more than spitting out the options in a linear fashion.

- The theme option pages will be relatively small. All visual things can be controlled through the Live Customizer.

The theme itself is just 1 Megabyte and a bit over 100 files.

It has over 20 accompying plugins that add functionality. The plugins won't be free (but the theme itself still won't be crippled, it has Masonry Layout, Slideshows for galleries etc.).

The plugins are

- Live Customizer
- Revolution Slider
- Siteorigin Page Builder Extension (adds image, parallax, video background etc...)
- Google Fonts (complete set, all subsets and variants, auto-updates itself)
- Upload Fonts
- Upload custom Icon Font (also has 3 integrated icon fonts)
- Pricing Tables
- Woocommerce Integration
- bbpress Integration
- Portfolio Custom Post Type

and a dozen others.

The WooCommerce and bbpress "Intergration" plugins carry the theme's custom page templates and necessary CSS and functions for those big plugins. So if someone doesn't want a shop or forum he just doesn't install those integration plugins and keeps having a lightweight theme. This is usually not the case with other "Woo/bbpress ready" themes.

For shortcodes I've made it play well with Shortcodes Ultimate. Any custom shortcodes I might add would be available through the Shortcodes Ultimate user interface.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 08:14 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Looking forward to 4.0, Flynn! Thanks for all your work.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 01:01 PM
WebHeer

23 posts · Jul 2010
Is there a aprox release date?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 05:04 PM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
So, basically it sounds awesome! Can't wait for it! It is really great that it will integrate with so many major plugins. It's also really great that it will remain light weight for those of us that don't want/need bbpress/woocommerce.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:01 AM
jakobsmith

32 posts · Feb 2010
Copenhagen
This thread looks very interesting :-)
How will upgrading from 3.7.* work? I guess not without quirks.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
How will upgrading from 3.7.* work? I guess not without quirks.
Ah, Jacob, it looks like you have done many a software upgrade
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:44 AM
jakobsmith

32 posts · Feb 2010
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Ah, Jacob, it looks like you have done many a software upgrade
I have and I will of course also work this out. Just curiously asking for the details. Not trying to talk it down.

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 2, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Untill Flynn releases it I have no wisdom to pass on
Old Sep 4, 2014, 06:14 AM
enri1968

32 posts · Jan 2011
Great news! thanks very much
Old Sep 4, 2014, 08:57 AM
gr870sfunk

110 posts · Mar 2011
Montgomery, AL
So exciting! Can't wait. I LOVE this theme so much!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:18 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
I'm guessing Flynn is mum on the release date because he is feverishly working on finalizing it, waiting for that day we he can proudly announce "It's done! Hit update in your WP Admin panel now!"
Old Sep 7, 2014, 09:54 AM
E-TARD

2 posts · Sep 2014
Silicon Valley, California USA
Send a message via MSN to E-TARD Send a message via Skype™ to E-TARD
This thread is putting some fear in me about the future of this theme

When you say "It has over 20 accompying plugins that add functionality. The plugins won't be free"

So the plugins will be in the zip with the theme?

So will all of the plugins be pay?
even this one "Live Customizer"
& how much will they be? & will it be a one time pay for the plugins?

Can you give more info to about this
"but the theme itself still won't be crippled, it has Masonry Layout, Slideshows for galleries etc."

Like hypothetically if I had 4.0 now & changed over to it, would my site look & work the same or would I need to pay for plugins??

I only ask so I can start setting aside the $ for it if need be.

my only fear is what will the admin experience be like if one does not pay for the plugins,
is it going to so striped down to a point where I will have pay for the plugins or be looking for a new Theme?

I am happy that your working on v4.0 keep up the good work.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 09:30 AM
windhover4

102 posts · May 2010
Fort Lauderdale
How very exciting that Atahualpa is continuing to move forward into the essential mobile responsive era. We all owe so much to Flynn's work to date, and the Moderators like Juggledad and Lmilesw who have day to day made it work--there should be no need for any apprehensions about what comes next! Thanks Guys...we need this, and I for one can't wait!

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 8, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:51 AM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Yes Atahualpa 4 will be fully responsive, and modular...

- Live Customizer
- Revolution Slider
- Siteorigin Page Builder Extension (adds image, parallax, video background etc...)
- Google Fonts (complete set, all subsets and variants, auto-updates itself)
- Upload Fonts
- Upload custom Icon Font (also has 3 integrated icon fonts)
- Pricing Tables
- Woocommerce Integration
- bbpress Integration
- Portfolio Custom Post Type

and a dozen others.
This sounds soo different that I think it warrants a new name and to stand on it's own, that way anyone that doesn't like too much change can just stay with the "old version" and yet still get security and minor updates, what do you think Flynn?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:34 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
That's asking too much, to maintain the two themes, not to mention Montezuma and ThemeFrame.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:49 AM
enri1968

32 posts · Jan 2011
Is it possible to have a preview, please?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:41 AM
rodrigoxp

6 posts · Oct 2014
Thumbs up.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:44 PM
stevinoz

61 posts · Sep 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to stevinoz
as E-Tard mentioned this sounds a little scary especially with the recent upgrade that woocommerce made which mostly consisted of them taking out an existing component and turning it into a $49 add on, is this the way of the future for Atahualpa as well?
and does this mean at some point we will have to ignore future updates?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 04:59 AM
tlck9

151 posts · Aug 2010
Wondered if there is any news on a responsive site timescale. Been asked to update our current website to responsive in November. But loathed to move away from Atahualpa if its coming soon.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:42 PM
alexmai

25 posts · Dec 2014
Any progress on the 4.0? It has been a few months.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:09 AM
rebeautys

1 posts · May 2014
I would like to join alexmai question... but notice is not to pressure you, but to encourage you ! I've been waiting for it for a long time and I am quite tired of Jetpack mobile theme and seeing how much I appreciate this theme I'm really looking forward it !!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 08:13 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
wrong thread
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:50 AM
starloft

3 posts · Jul 2009
Canton, MI
Will 4.0 be out in time for the April 21st Google date for making websites mobile friendly so we don't lose ranking or should I be looking for a new theme that already has this functionality? Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:55 PM
elimelek

2 posts · Sep 2011
Southern California
Looking forward to the new version!