Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] how to make custom 404 & remove "next post" link

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:07 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
[SOLVED] how to make custom 404 & remove "next post" link

hi folks. first post- please forgive a newbie.

this is my first wp site, and i have limited coding experience, dating back to HTML from ten years ago!

i am hoping to make two changes to my site, both i suspect are easy to the hardened veteran, but my browsing of this forum and my own attempts have been unsuccessful.

1) i hope to make a custom 404. i see the "not_found.php" file in montezuma editor but that is not apparently what is coding that 404 page. when i get a 404 error with my site it says "apologies. but no results were found for the requested archive, etc etc".

do you know where i find that file or text or whatever to edit it? once i find it, i shoudl be able to figure it out.

2) i am using wp as a shortcut to making my own entire site from scratch, and actually dont want people to be able to flip between posts sequentially. so: i want to remove the "previous post" and "next post" links at the top of each post. i (surprise!) cant figure out how to do this, and it might be much more complicated than editing some text.

any hints?

thanks!! (ps: definitely going to donate. im $200k in debt, but this is worth it)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:58 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
1. There are many custom 404 plugins. One of them should work.

2. Remove these lines from dashboard > appearances > mz options > main templates > single.php

HTML Code:
		<nav class="singlenav cf">
			<div class="older"><?php previous_post_link(); ?></div>
			<div class="newer"><?php next_post_link(); ?></div>
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:31 PM
sixleggedinsect

12 posts · Feb 2013
wow! that was so easy (when someone else does the thinking for me!)

thanks so much.