Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Linking a category to a page

Old Feb 6, 2009, 07:11 AM
jimjiber

3 posts · Feb 2009
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed - I did a search but I am afraid my use of terminology may be a little off-kilter...

I am just configuring my blog and have run into a little problem. Basically I want to be able to add posts to two different pages. I have created two categories for this very purpose. When I mark a post category as "News" I would like it to appear on the homepage. When I mark a post as "Programmes" I would like it to appear on the New Programmes page.

However, I cannot see any way of linking a page to a specific category or vice versa. Any ideas?

Here is my blog - http://www.futurefarmingvoices.org.uk/

Thanks for this great WP theme btw - it is rather beautiful.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 07:36 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This plugin should be able to do that http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/

Atahualpa has plug & play support for it, a little code change is required though, see post #9 in this thread: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=177
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:07 AM
jimjiber

3 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks Flynn but it doesn't quite work. I did exactly as you said and followed the instructions for the plugin but now when you click "New Programmes" in the top menu, the test post does not show on that page. Weird.

Thanks anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:12 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I cannot view your site, it redirects me to the login page - something you may not be aware of since you're logged in. Perhaps a setting at Settings -> Private

As for the plugin: It'll insert the page content into the category page - not the other way round. So you would have to go to a category page to see the page content at the top of that category page.

Added: And you would have to associate pages with categories at the theme's setting page Site Admin -> Settings -> Category Pages
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:26 AM
jimjiber

3 posts · Feb 2009
I think I get it now... there are quite a few people over at the support forum for that plugin who are after the same as me.

You are right - I want the exact opposite of what you described - I basically want the page to only display the contents of one category. I am sure that one of my techie friends can do some kind of filter for the page in the php. That's how I guess it can be done.

Thanks for your time and thanks again for the template.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:18 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
After looking closer it seems that the author has added the opposite feature via tags:

By popular demand, version 2.5 also ships with a shortcode like [catlist] that allows to display a list of posts from a certain category inside a post or a page
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:16 PM
undesign

2 posts · Feb 2009
Hi,

I am working with Jimjiber on this one. I would normally use something like the query posts template tag to do this but I cannot work out where in the index.php file to do this as there is a lot of non-standard code in this wordpress theme (good though it is).

What I did was create a new page template called catlist from the index.php file and applied it to the new programmes page and was intending to use something like

query_posts('cat=4');

so that the page displays only posts from that category. Any idea where in the
Atahualpa 3 index page you would put this?

I would rather use a template tag method than using another plugin it seems a bit over the top.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You could either make a copy of index.php as catlist.php and put your code in line 40 before this:

PHP Code:
    <?php // Do this for all posts:

while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>
Or you put it into index.php (same place) with a conditional tag

PHP Code:
if ( is_page('page_slug') ) {  query_posts('cat=4'); } 
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:05 PM
undesign

2 posts · Feb 2009
Brilliant

Thanks,

That worked a treat.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:36 PM
sparksmex

56 posts · Apr 2009
Jocotepec, Mexico
Old thread but the title is right. What an oversight on somebody's part to not allow page categories.

I have 20 pages and one Blog page and in search - everything comes up in the Blog category .... with the "leave comment" even tho comments are not allowed

For that matter I'm thinking about disabling search as it's really a joke