Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Changed URL can't get into site

Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:20 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
Hello

This is my first post. I spent a couple of days discovering Atahualpa, and I really like it.

I have created a site using XAMPP for its local hosting capabilities. I did like working this way and would like to use it for my coming websites.

BUT I have made a stupid thing : in Wordpress admin I have changed the website url and blog url, so as to be capable of putting my local website onto its new location.

I know that's silly, but I had been designing the baby for days, was exhausted, and rookie...

Now my local website gives me a parse error, and my hosted website also...

Please give me a hand to get back my posts, pages and site design (Ata options mainly) from the local.

Donation-ready to fire ;o)

Please forgive my exotic English, I am a Frog
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You will need to use phpMyAdmin and get into the database.
1) Find the table wp_options
2) edit the row with the option name of 'siteurl' and change the option_value ONLY
3) go to the next page and find the row with the name of 'home' - edit it and fix the url there also
That should do it
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:02 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
Hi Juggledad

Thanks for your answer, I just did that and now I can see my homepage (local) on the url :

http://localhost/wordpress/

but all my links (even if they give the right slug in the screen bottom left corner) redirect me to XAMPP.

http://localhost/xampp/

and http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin

returns a "not found" error

and all my images / icons have broken links...

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks again

Pierre

Last edited by Pierre; Aug 27, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Get into the wordpress backend dashboard->settings->general and make sure the WordPress address (URL) and Site address (URL) are the same, then set the permalinks to default and see what happens
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:25 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
Can't log to wp-admin (as said above).

Gives me a 404 error.

thanks
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
try http://localhost:8888/wordpress/wp-admin
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:15 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
Hi,

Firefox says :

Connection failed, Firefox cannot setup a connection with the server at address localhost:8888.

while XAMPP is running Apache, MySQL and Filezilla

Thanks again
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:41 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you said
Quote:
Now my local website gives me a parse error, and my hosted website also...
why is your hosted site giving you a problem? your not using the same database for both...are you??
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:55 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
No !

I have changed the hosted website database settings in wp-admin to those given by the hoster.

But as I needed to go forward, I have decided to :

- try and save my local site using XAMPP
- delete and restart from scratch my hosted website (with ATA 353 and WP 301)

I'd really love to be able to copy & paste my posts and pages from local to hosted, as I have no backup copy of them. Only the texts would be great.

thks
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you should get into the database using phpMyAdmin and do a full export.
With the export, you can then edit the sql to change the url address and import it where ever you want.

I'm on a MAC and I import other people's databases all the time for testing purposes. I also have MAMP installed on a second machine and things work fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to XAMPP so I don't think I can help you more than I have.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:54 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
thanks for your help around that topic,

I'll try your idea ASAP and keep you posted (and ensure donation in case of success as promised).

Thanks a lot,

Pierre
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:44 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
you should get into the database using phpMyAdmin and do a full export.
With the export, you can then edit the sql to change the url address and import it where ever you want.

I'm on a MAC and I import other people's databases all the time for testing purposes. I also have MAMP installed on a second machine and things work fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to XAMPP so I don't think I can help you more than I have.
Hi Juggledad,

Thanks for the tip, it did work ! I could see my pages and posts, when exporting to Word 2000 (ie for me Open Office Write).

Here goes your Donation (and another question).

How is it that my posts and pages do appear on www.e-motion-marketing.com as excerpts but when clicking them, they give me a 404 : not found.

That even more curious that the same occurs whenever I click on "preview page" in Wordpress control panel.

Thanks again for your help, answer 2 is key to me too...

Pierre
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
this is probably a permalinks issue. -go change your permalinks to the default and test, then switch back to what you currently have and test again. This will cause a rewrite of the htaccess file that controls the 'pretty' names
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:38 AM
Pierre

36 posts · Aug 2010
Montpellier, France
GREAT ! Works now, thanks a lot.

Just donated.

Pierre