Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Change background color of individual widgets

Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
Photokitchen

5 posts · Mar 2009
First of all - thanks for this fabulous theme. I have looked at many different ones, nothing comes close. Donation made....

I am looking for a way to change background colors on individual widgets (category, pages, different text blocks) in order to put a little life into the sidebars. I know I can change the general sidebar color and the general widget color, but how about a different color for each widget? Can that be done?

Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:53 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Thank you for the donation

Use Firebug or the "View Source" option of your browser to find out the ID or a unique class for the widget you want to style. For instance the archives widget looks like this:

<div id="archives" class="widget widget_archives">

<div class="widget-title">
<h3>Widget Title</h3>
</div>

<div class="widget-content">
Widget content here...
</div>

</div>

The DIV container for the whole "Archives" widget has 1 ID "archives", a general class "widget" and an individual class "widget_archives":

ID = archives
class = widget
class = widget_archives

Add as HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Insert

HTML Code:
div#archives {
... /* style for the whole widget */
}
div#archives div.widget-title {
... /* style for the widget title box */
}
div#archives div.widget-title h3 {
... /* style for the widget Headline text */
}
div#archives div.widget-content {
... /* style for the widget body */
}
div#archives div.widget-content p {
 ... /* style for paragraphs inside the widget body */
 }
div#archives div.widget-content img {
  ... /* style for images inside the widget body */
  }
The unique class "widget_archives" makes sense once you start using multiple instances of the same widget, i.e. multiple text widgets.

Then you would use the semi-unique class "widget_text" to "group style" all text widgets, and each text widget's unique ID "text-1234567890" to apply additional, individual CSS for each single text widget.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
Photokitchen

5 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks for the detailed info - this helps a lot!
Old May 9, 2009, 01:39 AM
Fredr

2 posts · May 2009
Hej!

A little question. To change the color/background of my widget, I have to:

- locate my text-widget's ID
- add the code on the box "css insert"

and then? Where do I have to add the widget's ID? How can I change his background?

Thanks a lot!
Old May 9, 2009, 05:55 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredr
Hej!

A little question. To change the color/background of my widget, I have to:

- locate my text-widget's ID
- add the code on the box "css insert"

and then? Where do I have to add the widget's ID? How can I change his background?

Thanks a lot!
The red part is the widget ID. In the source code of your browser-rendered page you'd find it as:

<div id="archives" class="widget widget_bla blabla">

And in a HTML/CSS Insert -> CSS Insert you'd use it as:

div#archives {
... /* style for the whole widget */
}