Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Problems when updating from 3.1.9 to 3.2

Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:34 AM
upscho

30 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,

I just upgraded via the upgrade button in the theme selection (german version of WordPress 2.7.1). Got two problems:

1) My user-defined headerimage was gone. In fact the files header6.jpg, img_1479.jpg and img_1496.jpg were in the directory "images/header". I deleted them with my ftp client and copied my old headerfile. Now everything seems to be fine.

2) In the left sidebar a hint is displayed: "To put some content here, go to Site Admin -> Appearance/Presentation -> Widgets -> Select "Left Sidebar" -> Click "Show" -> Click on "Add" on one of the widgets on the left side -> Click "Save changes" -> Done " I'm waiting for responses of users what that should be good for... Here I haven't found a solution yet.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME?

Thanks,
upscho
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:43 AM
upscho

30 posts · Feb 2009
I just found a temporary workaround: I put an empty text widget in the left sidebar and the text I mentioned in my posting has gone. (But if I delete the widget the text comes back so this workaround should be removed.)

Regards,
upscho

Last edited by upscho; Mar 5, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
That text is a placeholder and should be gone once you place your first widget into that sidebar.

It's there so that visitors of the Wordpress.org theme viewer know that the sidebars of Atahualpa won't be empty. Not all users understand that widgets can be placed there. If I leave the sidebars empty I get less downloads. The theme viewer does not place widgets in the sidebars. I might even add a bit actual content like blogroll, meta, categories in the sidebars by default in the next version. That's the norm to have some default content there. Only very few themes have the sidebars blank in their default state. It seems to confuse novice users, and experienced users probably know that widgets can be added and that the default content might go when doing so.

If you want different content in a sidebar, add any widget and the default content is gone. If you don't want a sidebar at all, turn it off at the Theme Options. If you want a blank sidebar (I've seen a few users doing that but I am not sure whether that's what they wanted) then place a text widget without content in a sidebar, and the default content should be gone.

Edit: I just saw that you used the "Blank text widget" technique. So you want to keep the sidebars but keep them blank? I might add a feature to turn off the default content in the sidebars without having to add a blank widget if this is something useful. I am surprised that anyone would do this. Are you doing this to get a 100% header and a narrower content area? That would be an interesting technique that I had not even thought about. I HAD thought about the fact that Atahualpa currently doesn't provide a way to realize this type of layout, but blank sidebars would be a workaround.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:43 AM
upscho

30 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
That text is a placeholder and should be gone once you place your first widget into that sidebar.
That's true. But unfortunately the text comes back if one removes the widget again. I did not notice this behaviour in version 3.1.9. Nevertheless your intention (Wordpress.org theme viewer) is clear to me.

Quote:
If you want a blank sidebar (I've seen a few users doing that but I am not sure whether that's what they wanted) then ...
That's really what I want to do. In fact I tried once to move one of the widgets of the right sidebar to the left sidebar because the right sidebar was rather long. But then the web page seemed to me a bit overcrowded and I moved the widget back.

Quote:
I might add a feature to turn off the default content in the sidebars without having to add a blank widget if this is something useful.
At least I would find it VERY usefull. Nevertheless I can also live with adding an empty text widget.

Best regards,
upscho

Last edited by upscho; Feb 20, 2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:56 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I added it to my ever growing To-Do list
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
BonnieR

1 posts · Feb 2009
I am having a similar problem; the dummy text remains in both the left and right sidebars even though I have used the theme editor to add widgets on each side and have left all the boxes checked in the sidebar edit option. Here is a link to the blog if that helps: www.acfls.org/famlawblog

Thanks.