Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Reveal and hide widget content using jquery

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
shallowmeya

4 posts · Apr 2012
[SOLVED] Reveal and hide widget content using jquery

Hi there,

I decided to use the Atahualpa theme for the customizable sidebars/widgets, which I am very much appreciating, however I'm having some trouble getting the dynamic effect I'm going for.

Here's the idea for the site:
All of the content is distributed into 4 categories, with each category showing up in a separate widget (2 in the left sidebar widgets and 2 right sidebar widgets). I'm using the "Category Column" plugin for that.
The content of each widget is hidden until a link (i.e. the title of the category) is clicked. Ideally it would work and look like the RevealingPhotoSlider effect, so onclick the height and width of the DIV containing the widget (which is nested in a cell -- I'm using tables) would expand, displacing the other widgets.

I've tried manipulating the photorevealer.js, css.php, and functions.php files to integrate the RevealingPhotoSlider into the Atahualpa theme, and it's gone through phases of different things working, not working, and/or looking wonky, but I've finally hit a dead end. Check it out for yourself: http://elizabethpovinelli.com

I (tried to) set it up so that, in theory, the category titles -- Academic, Karrabing, etc -- would act as links that trigger the jQuery command expanding the height and width of the DIVs. It's not working, though.

Is there an easier way to do this than to try to manipulate a jQuery script that wasn't meant for Atahualpa? Should I just switch to a different theme (I really don't want to!)? Should I use a different slider? Should I try to integrate more of the coding into the Atahualpa Theme Editor interface rather than messing with the raw stuff?

Any help is very much appreciated! Here are the relevant codes (photorevealer.js, css.php, header.php, footer.php) in a zip file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11520865/helpme.zip

Fair warning: the code is most likely abysmal and embarrassing. I'm basically blindly picking my way through the jQuery (and the PHP for that matter) and really have no idea what to do!

Last edited by shallowmeya; Apr 22, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: referenced incorrect plugin; resolved!