Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Web Hosting for WordPress »

For top list in search engines: static or shared IP address

Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
jackson787

1 posts · Dec 2009
For top list in search engines: static or shared IP address

If I want my website to have top list on the search engines then is it a MUST to have a static IP address for the website or can I just use a shared IP address for my website.

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 12, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
IP address has no efect static or dynamic, it's your SEO settings
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
Themes8

1 posts · Apr 2010
Germany
From what Ive heard it can give you a slight advantage. If you have a dedicated, private server Google may credit this, as well as a static IP. But it wont get you to the top, rather it may move you up a place or two, above your contenders using dynamic IP. If youre already on page 1 that can make all the difference. Keep in mind though that the most vital factor is backlinks.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 06:41 AM
peter

2 posts · Apr 2010
usa
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
IP address has no efect static or dynamic, it's your SEO settings
i agree with juggledad
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
machinga

1 posts · Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson787
If I want my website to have top list on the search engines then is it a MUST to have a static IP address for the website or can I just use a shared IP address for my website.
It is actually not very clear what you are asking...

A "static IP" means that the IP address does not change. With most hosting packages you buy, this is what you get. The only time your website might be on a dynamic IP is if you are hosting it at home on your DSL connection. Since your home DSL connection is not meant for web hosting, you are at your ISPs mercy as to the IP address that is assigned to you at any given time. In this case, you would have to use a dynamic DNS service so that your site won't go down every time your ISP assigns you a new IP address.

A "shared IP" on the other hand just means that there is more than one domain name assigned to that IP address. Such an IP address will be static, but shared. This is what you get with most hosting packages you buy, unless you either have your own server or get a special "SEO" hosting package (which is not worth the premium you pay, in my opinion)

In both cases, the effect on search engine rankings is minimal, if any.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
gesman

35 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson787
You probably meant to ask "shared" or "dedicated" IP.
If you hosted on a shared hosting account with shared IP - there could be 200 spammers sitting on the same IP. Every service on earth would blacklist and ban this IP.
So you're poor guy without knowing sharing the same IP with them you'll be wondering a long time "why is that I am not ranking well".
Dedicated is better because there is no one else sitting on your IP and Google actually sees it that way as well.

Hostgator.com offers dedicated IP for extra $2 / mo which i think is really worth it.

Gleb
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here is a video from Google on the subject of shared hosting.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
SEO Strategist

1 posts · Aug 2010
As an SEO Strategist, there are many reasons why I like to put some of my sites on unique IPs and most of my clients on separate IPs as well. I agree with Machinga & gesman. Up to 30% of Google's algorithm is based on the trustworthiness and details of the hosting company.

-Ideally you want to be on a dedicated server (if your online business is making a good profit)
-I suggest you get a separate IP address if you're on a shared server
This will create a layer of separation from the other hundreds of sites on the server
Unfortunately, if the ISP is blocking the entire server or Hosting Company, you're still screwed
-also not a bad idea if your doing web hosting to get your own name servers
-make sure the reverse DNS resolves to your server

Like buying a domain for years rather than 1 year - getting a unique IP shows longevity, seriousness and professionalism to Google. It is likely minor, but it is definitely worth for the security.