Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Widget Category drop down menu won't work

Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Is this site installed in a sub folder and is there another wordpress site in the parent folder?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:04 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
JD. Are you still there?

So far, nothing has worked. So I just deleted everything again and reinstalled WP and ATA.

However, I'm really concerned because the one symptom that indicates that something is wrong is already showing. When viewing the website, with "Show Admin Bar, when viewing site" checked, clicking on the DASHBOARD tab, does not take me to the dashboard. It just keeps me on the home page. On all of my other WP websites, one click on the dashboard tab takes me right to the dashboard. On this site it does not.

Strange, With firebug, I have looked at the coding behind the DASHBOARD tab on both the working and non-working websites and the coding is flawless. Why does one work and the other not work???
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
does that happen if you use twenty-eleven?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
Yes it does. Same problem.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Is this site installed in a sub folder and is there another wordpress site in the parent folder?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:30 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
It is in the root of the pertinent domain name-not a subfolder. There are other domains with wordpress in the same public_html folder of what would be the "mother" domain.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm wondering if the htaccess file in a parent folder is causing an issue. as an experiment, I would try renaming the .htaccess files in any parent folder to 'htaccess.old' to see if it effects anything.

This is an environmental issue, something to do with this particular environment and it could be anything, so if your have

wordpress-a (domain1) -> root of host
wordpress-b (domain2) ->root/subfolder-b

go to 'root' and rename that .htaccess file and see what happens

(gotta go do some yard work - too many leaves on the ground and still need to cut some branches down from the storm last week)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
JD, I just PM'd you a message re: htaccess
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:02 PM
Cheers

105 posts · Jun 2010
OK. Problem solved. The problem was a .htaccess file that somehow was blocking the operation of any drop down menu. That included category drop down menus and the administration drop down menu (especially when I clicked on "Dashboard") When I clicked on dashboard, it didn't do to the dashboard, instead it just stayed on the home page. Category drop down menus didn't work, but category list menus did!

So, Ultimately, JD was right. It was an environmental problem. A .htaccess file in the root of the domain was preventing proper action. Once removed, or edited, everything behaved normally.

JD sent this explanation:

As I understand it, htaccess files are cumulative. lets say you have

root
folder1 folder2
folder3 folder4

and they all have an .htaccess file. anything running from root, will only have
root_htaccess
applied, but something running from folder1 will have
root_htaccess + folder1_htaccess
run, while something from folder4 will have
root_htaccess + folder2_htaccess + folder4_htaccess
applied to it. So you can see where issues can come up.

If you have a wordpress install for one domain in the root and one in folder1 and they both have permalinks set, weird things can happen.

Hope that explains all. The main thing is it was the .htaccess file that was messing everything up. So with that in mind. Happy building.

Oh. And do donate. The kind of help you get from Larry, JD, and Flynn is invaluable! And really, Atahualpa is the best theme out there.

Last edited by Cheers; Nov 11, 2011 at 02:07 PM.