Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

[SOLVED] Error in excerpt function? If cut-off point is <em>

Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
AdditionalDid I discover a bug in my 3.4.01 version?

When using excerpts on posts pages, e.g. category or tag pages, if the cut-off word is formatted <em> all following text on this posts page is rendered <em>, see screenshot:

http://www.husdal.com/wp-content/upl...ata-3-4-01.jpg

I guess it is not necessarily a bug, just a consequence of an unclosed <em> tag.

EDIT:
See it 'live' here (while it lasts): http://www.husdal.com/tag/samferdsel/

EDIT2:
The same happens if any formatting is applied to the cutoff point, e.g. <strong>...this is embarrassing

EDIT 3:
More annoying things with excerpts: I sometimes start off a post with an image. If the image has a caption, the caption will display as first part of the excerpt. Conclusion: While excerpts are a great feature, they do have some unwanted effects.

Last edited by jankph; Jul 14, 2009 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Additional 'bugs'
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Looks like you're using 3.4.2. Does the problem still exist? make sure you're closing tags properly that you opened inside posts
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:21 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
As far as I can see, it's still persisting. I am closing my tags, but it seems the excerpt function just cuts off the post after the set number of words, regardless of whether this is inside an opened formatting tag or not.

Well, there are two ways around this for me:
1. I always use the 'more' tag after my opening paragraph, so showing 'full posts' will just show an 'excerpt' anyway.
2. I can add my own excerpt to the post. If an excerpt exists that is what will be displayed. But it will be without the trailing '[...]' though.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
There is no "is tag still open" logic in excerpts. That's probably why WP just strips them altogether. Atahualpa adds the option to replace the ellipsis with a link, adjust the length of the excerpt, and define no-to-be-stripped tags, but does not add that "is tag open" logic either.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:41 PM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
You're right. It's just me overlooking the (too) many options in Atahualpa. If I set it not to not strip any tags, then everything is perfect. If I set it to strip, say the 'em' tag and cut off after 55 words, and word # 55 happens to be emphasized, then all following posts will have their text emphasized. I had no idea that the 'stripping' was what took care of that. My mistake. Simply too many great options in this great theme. Thanks!