Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Even spacing of menu bar

Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:50 AM
msg-meteorites

18 posts · Nov 2010
Even spacing of menu bar

I am trying to get my menu bar justified to the left and the right but cant find a way to do so. It is justified to the left but it finsishes at a different place on the right dependant on which browser is used. I ideally want it evenly spaced and justified to the left and the right. Is this possible? My website is

www.msg-meteorites.co.uk

Cheers

Martin
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
to center it, look at the theme options
to evenly space it you will need to add some CSS padding to the elements
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:22 AM
msg-meteorites

18 posts · Nov 2010
Thank you. I can centre it via the ATO options but this still means it is not evenly spaced and for some reason it now has a dashed border around it which i can't remove?

The spacing looks very different when viewed in IE compared to Chrome. If the CSS is changed how will this affect how it is viewed in different browsers? Also forgive my ignorance but how do i add CSS padding to the elements?

Thanks again

Cheers

Martin
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:43 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Trying to get a menu to span the full width is problematic. As you have seen different browsers render things differently. I fiddled with padding on the menu items and could not get them to span the full width. At one point they almost got to full width but then when I add even slightly more padding the menu wrapped to two lines.

When I want to do this I generally use percentage widths for the menu items which makes them all 15% or maybe 13.4% or whatever works but in your case if you make all the menu items the same width they will need to be made wide enough for the longest menu title to fit and so your menu will wrap to a second line.

You can get rid of the dashed borders on a centered menu with CSS. You just need to use a tool like Firebug with Firefox to determine the selectors and then use CSS to get rid of the dashes.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 04:07 AM
msg-meteorites

18 posts · Nov 2010
Thank you very much. I am a total beginner when it comes to website coding and have just about scraped through to create what i done so far by trial and error and lots of help and assistance! When you say use CSS to remove the dashed line when the menu is centred, what code? And where do you insert it? If the menu is spaced evenly as you suggest with each menu item being a certain percentage width adding up to 100% does it matter whether it is centred or left justified? The idea of having a percentage width makes sense so how do i go about doing this for my menu? Any help much appreciated :-)

Cheers

Martin
Old Apr 7, 2014, 04:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
When you say use CSS to remove the dashed line when the menu is centred, what code? And where do you insert it?
Did you look thru the FAQ - ATAHUALPA section of the forum?

Quote:
If the menu is spaced evenly as you suggest with each menu item being a certain percentage width adding up to 100% does it matter whether it is centred or left justified?
Try it and see which you think looks better