Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Why I Hate Upgrading Atahualpa

Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
ctoews

3 posts · Nov 2009
Summerland, BC Canada
[SOLVED] Why I Hate Upgrading Atahualpa

Why is it that every time I install an upgrade of the theme, it has overwritten my custom header and the like. If it is necessary to replace all the files in the theme directory, please make it possible for me to place my headers, logos, etc... in a location that will not be affected by an update.

I use Atahualpa on a number of web-sites - both personal and client sites - and every time I see that there is an update I am both excited and filled with dread.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There are some work arounds to eliminate the need to to re upload the images such as using relative paths for the logo and using a plugin for the rotating images. I also name the files that I have uploaded with the same prefix so they are all together in the images folder. That way I can just download and upload easily.

A manual update also is another solution but that does require changing the paths in the theme options.

I also don't upgrade my theme in many instances.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
I also dislike updating ATA because of header images.

Does WP 3.5 now have a procedure that solves this (updating ATA) problem???
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Miles-you mention you don't often upgrade your theme... What about when there's an upgrade around a new WP upgrade (as in the case w/WP 3.5)? Is there a need to upgrade Atahualpa to make it play nice with WP?

I, like the original writer of this thread, and terrified to upgrade. I'm currently working on a site with a huge number of photos... (lots of galleries using NextGen)... if I have to alter every url I will go insane.

I've tried using relative urls before for page links/file links, and they often don't work... which means a TON of manual labor at upgrade time... Any recommendations/plugins to help with this?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The only path changes you have to make during a Manual upgrade is in the theme options. As mentioned in other areas of the forum there are ways to mitigate those changes as well. There have only been a couple of times that I felt a theme upgrade was necessary. But again I don't find upgrades very cumbersome and typically use the manual method.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Well, I braced myself and went ahead and did a manual upgrade, to cure my fear of it.

And it worked fine! Thanks for the encouragement. Followed Juggledad's instructions, and everything worked.