Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

"Scribd" embeded reader not opening to full size

Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:51 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
I use Scribd (www.scribd.com/) to embed documents in my blog. I have never had any issues with this service. I am building a new site with Atahualpa, and the small button on the Scribd window that enlarges the window to full size just doesn't work in Atahualpa.....I pretty novice here, but I think its some kind of flash type issue?

Any help would be appreciated. I really love the Scribd platform for storing and presenting my documents, many which are huge pdf files.

thanks, Doug
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:20 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Atahualpa isn't doing anything flash related. Does it work with the "default" theme? If yes, please post a URL (with Atahualpa turned on again)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:33 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
my WP/Atahuapla URL is www.5goulds.com. Give me an a few minutes to publish that page so you can see it. See "Reference" page for the Scribd files.

Also, you can see the way I expect the Scribd script to react over here at:
http://5goulds.squarespace.com/reference-library/

click on that little box all the way over on the right that makes the Scribd file go full screen to see what I'm talking about. When I do that in WP, nothing happens.

thanks, this is great!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:19 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Thank you for the donation, Doug.

Checking the sites... Probably some Javascript needs to be inserted into the header...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:44 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I noticed that Scribd is inserted very differently on the two pages. On Squarespace the files are inserted as

Code:
<embed src=
whereas on the Wordpress site they're inserted as

Code:
<param name="src" value="
The <embed src= method is what comes up when I google for "embed flash". Is there a reason you have a completely different Scribd code for the Wordpress site? Has Scribd changed their code meanwhile, or were you given different alternative codes and you chose one for the Wordpress site?

It seems that I would have to get an account at Scribd to have a look at the codes they suggest for embedding their player, there seems to be none on the outside of their page.

Can you insert this working code (from Squarespace) into the Wordpress site and see if it works there: Otherwise it's hard to tell whether it is Wordpress/the theme or the Scribd code:

Code:
<object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" 
id="doc_154914488169740" name="doc_154914488169740" 
classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle"    height="500" width="100%">        
<param name="movie"    value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=11649565&access_key=key-1tohrb1p31fozdt8e8w0&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list">         
<param name="quality" value="high">         
<param name="play" value="true">        
<param name="loop" value="true">         
<param name="scale" value="showall">        
<param name="wmode" value="opaque">         
<param name="devicefont" value="false">        
<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">         
<param name="menu" value="true">        
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">         
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">         
<param name="salign" value="">                        
<param name="mode" value="list">                
<embed src="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=11649565&access_key=key-1tohrb1p31fozdt8e8w0&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list" 
quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="opaque" 
devicefont="false" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="doc_154914488169740_object" menu="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" 
salign="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" mode="list" height="500" width="100%"></embed>    
</object>
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
wow, now there is some really strange things going on.

I cut/paste the code you gave, and it didn't help. I also went back to Scribd and cut/paste some more code for my site. With those links, when you click on the 'full page' button, it jumps to a long, tiny list of the pages, and then when I hit the "back" button on my browser (firefox), my banner image is squished to about 300px side/side...

if you go to my "reference" page, you will see all 4 versions of the same scribd doc, as I embeded them. One of those is from the code you posted above.

I hope we can fix this because I love using Scribd.

doug
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:46 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86
I hope we can fix this because I love using Scribd.
We sure will, I'll look closer tomorrow

The new problem might be caused by formatting. I had broken down the code into several lines to make it more readable. Could you try this "as is" code from Squarespace on the WP site:

Code:
<object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" id="doc_154914488169740" name="doc_154914488169740" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" align="middle"    height="500" width="100%">        <param name="movie"    value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=11649565&access_key=key-1tohrb1p31fozdt8e8w0&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list">         <param name="quality" value="high">         <param name="play" value="true">        <param name="loop" value="true">         <param name="scale" value="showall">        <param name="wmode" value="opaque">         <param name="devicefont" value="false">        <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">         <param name="menu" value="true">        <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">         <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">         <param name="salign" value="">                        <param name="mode" value="list">                <embed src="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=11649565&access_key=key-1tohrb1p31fozdt8e8w0&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" play="true" loop="true" scale="showall" wmode="opaque" devicefont="false" bgcolor="#ffffff" name="doc_154914488169740_object" menu="true" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" salign="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" mode="list" height="500" width="100%"></embed>    </object>
In IE7 you might miss the end of the code while copying it...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:52 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
ok, I put that in, its the first entry on that page, marked "as is from sqsp"

it still opens as a tight column, rather than a full page...curious.

I'll get this new site the way I want in no time with your help.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:44 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I found the reason but no fix yet. The way the Atahualpa layout is made does not seem to work well with Scribd's technique of turning some layout parts (namely the sidebars) off while going full-screen. I'll see if I can find a fix

A fix would probably mean to sacrifice some of Atahualpa's features, namely
  • layout min-width and max-width
  • big images and long strings would expand the layout, overall the layout would act more like a traditional table than a "table that behaves like a div" (as it does now)
  • the sidebars would not keep their width while the layout is being resized, instead they would resize a bit too (as far as the content in them allows). The only problem I see with that is that sidebar width and width of the search box in the header would not match anymore while the browser window is being resized. But you don't have a search box in the header anyway
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
The floating features of the theme aren't really important to my layout. I could live with a fixed width layout.

The search bar can go on a side widget on the front page.

I plan to embed scribd documents almost all on just a single page, probably called 'documents'....but once in a while I do embed a scribd in a blog post. If you can't figure out a work around, I could live with limiting scribds to just a single page, and I could omit the side bar on that page. Would that help?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:42 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I'll post the required changes for a fixed layout tomorrow, won't be many
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It's more problematic than I thought, I am sorry but doesn't look like I'll be able to get Atahualpa 3 to work with the Full Screen feature of Scrubd. I got it so far that it would open full screen, but when going back the layout would be greatly misaligned. I would have to almost replace the underlying layout.

Scribd does fully rely on layouts being made with div's only it seems. It doesn't deal well with layout tables of any kind as far as I can tell.

It works with Atahualpa 2 (which has a DIV only layout). But Atahualpa 2 doesn't have so many options, around 50, and it's not actively developed anymore, so I am not sure if I can recommend you to start with it now. I am leaving Atahualpa 2 on over the weekend. It can be centered, too, but isn't here: http://wp27.bytesforall.com/
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:39 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
bummer......
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:04 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I could make a static CSS only version for you but you would have to apply those changes whenever you update Atahualpa 3. Doesn't sound like a viable solution

And scribd doesn't have something where that button opens into another fresh window I guess?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:22 AM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
Flynn, thanks for the "reverse donation". Totally unexpected but a nice demonstration of your honesty.

I haven't given up completely on Atahualpa, but I will shop around for alternatives.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:10 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
Flynn, check this out:

http://www.wordpresscmsblog.com/lp/f...FR8hnAodG2ZMcA

see if that would help your template deal with the scribd issue.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:06 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I don't see any Scribd related info there?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:30 PM
doug86

16 posts · Feb 2009
sorry, a highjacked URL..try

http://www.beardygeek.com/2008/02/sc...for-wordpress/
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:32 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
That plugin doesn't do much beyond what the original Scribd "Wordpress embed code" does. I tried something different also, I looked through Scribd's documentation and it seemed like I could turn off that little icon on the top right that makes Scribd go full screen, (and add a full screen link myself, all with my own plugin) but that didn't work, the "allowfullscreen" parameter they provide doesn't turn off that icon. Now I'll try to do something with the Atahualpa layout again and report my findings tomorrow.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:51 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I got it so far that it would work in a trimmed down version of Atahualpa 3 but not in Safari. I'll have to give up on Scribd for A3 for now. It works in Atahualpa 2 which has a DIV only layout.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:35 PM
jayrelay

1 posts · Apr 2009
Hi !

Atahualpa 3.3.2 and scribd short code API for wordpress work great together..
I have had no problems with short code API method.
I have had no problems with the long code method (traditional HTML insert)

~ even easier if you select the alternative option for wordpress embed (short code) ~
~or use the advanced option to configure options and than select traditional or short code insert~

short code looks something like this

[scribd id=7143835 key=key-44oorhpcdgv57dxtkc5]

It will say it is for wordpress.com users.. But works fine on the wordpress installed on my domain and server. I do not have a wordpress.com account.

Thank you for making Atahualpa
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:43 PM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
It would be great if fullscreen mode could be implemented properly in some future version of the theme. I wasn't aware of this (I should have tested it...my fault, I know), so I just had to go back and edit 10 Scribd posts and link them to the Scribd site rather than displaying the documents on my blog. Good thing I saw this thread before I added the other 20 or so documents I planned to upload.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Mid term I will try to implement it.