Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Width of Sub Menus - no changes after selection.

Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:31 PM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Hello BFA Forum. I've recently upgraded to A351. I've searched the forums read the posts but I don't see any pointers or explainations for my problem yet. Unforutnately I'm using ie, it's the unchanging browser for this company.

My question. I was able to modify the widths of the sub-menus in the last version, now I can't.

Also my menu has strange background areas while the menu text gets forced to the next line.

I've re-reviewed the Son of S etc.

Please have a look when you get the chance, the answer may be a quick oversight or... ?

url: http://wp.islandtug.com

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best regards,
Mike
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
In ATO>Page Menu Bar the last item is width of sub menus. What do you have that set at?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Hi Larry, thanks for your response, currently, the Sub Menu is at 12.5.

Now it doesn't matter what I set this number to anylonger.

It does not change like in the last version.

Also, I tried making changes with "plug-ins off", "Amimate Page Menu Bar", set to "No".

Still no change in the width of the drop down.

Thanks again for your response.
Mike
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I don't know what is going on there. What version of Atahualpa did you upgrade from? Have you added and CSS?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Hi Larry,

I upgraded from A349 to A351.

The new Style.CSS is Ver 3.5.1

Mike
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:35 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
In that case you may want to
  1. Go to ATO>Export/Import Settings
  2. Export & Download your current settings (This is important)
  3. Click the Delete 'bfa_ata4' button. At this time your site will have the default style and all your settings will be gone.
  4. Refresh the site
  5. Go back to ATO>Export/Import Settings and Upload & Import the Atahualpa Settings file you downloaded in step 1
Those steps MAY get things straightened out as there were some issues with 3.4.7, 3.4.8, and 3.4.9. Do you have a previous version of Atahualpa still installed so you can fall back if necessary? Did you upgrade from 3.4.6 automatically or manually?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Thank you for this I followed the instructions, pretty cool little BFA.

Things are the same. I'm going to keep working maybe I'll drop back to the older version after I've loaded more pages.

Then I'll send an update.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
This is driving me nuts. Did you change anything in the Style.CSS file? The dropdown menus aren't working correctly either. Everyhing overlaps instead of an offset.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:49 AM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Hi Larry,
I didn't change the CSS. I've turned off the Animate Page Menu Bar, and the Animate Category Menu Bar, Rotate header images to 0, and Fade in/out header images to 0, preloade header image for Javascript is no.

I've played with the Width of Sub Menu again today. I change the width to 7 - "Save Changes", no difference. Change to 25 - "Save Changes" no difference.

I've had all plugins turned off during the above process, and I only have a few back on at this time.

Good News for the Category Width of Sub Menus. I've added a dummy post to the "ITB News" Category and I'm able to manipulate the width.

I'll continue my work for now and play with the page menu bar when I get the chance.

I hope this helps.
Have a good one,
Mike
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
to get rid of the white, add this to CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
ul.rMenu ul {
background-color:transparent;
}
if you want the background the same width for all teh menus, change 'transparent' to '#000099'
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:15 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Can you take a look at his site JD? He is unable to change the width of the sub menus and I can't come up with an answer.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:17 PM
Soyebean

7 posts · May 2010
Thanks again, Larry and Hello to JuggleDad. I played with the transparency and color in the CSS.php.

Changes happened but not what I can settle with so I've returned the CSS.to what it was.

I'm going to dump it and start from scratch, I have all the files, I think this will be the quickest after all of that.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Mike, don't edit css.php put overrides or customizations in ato->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts then they become a theme option and you don't have to worry about them during upgrades.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:18 PM
mlanger

16 posts · Sep 2009
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
This is driving me nuts. Did you change anything in the Style.CSS file? The dropdown menus aren't working correctly either. Everyhing overlaps instead of an offset.
Yes! This is one of the problems I'm having with WordPress 3!

I'm still on Atahualpa 3.4.4. Want to get it working correctly on WP3 before upgrading (one battle at a time).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Soyebean, mlanger - are you using the new menu feature of WP 3? Atahualpa is not setup to work with it yet
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanger
Yes! This is one of the problems I'm having with WordPress 3!

I'm still on Atahualpa 3.4.4. Want to get it working correctly on WP3 before upgrading (one battle at a time).
I now see what you mean. I just upgraded a site to WP 3 and Ata 3.5.1 and the sub-menus can't be increased in size plus the little arrows that indicate a sub-menu aren't visible.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:12 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
By adding the following to CSS Inserts I was able to set the width to the sub-menus. The Atahualpa settings didn't have any effect.
HTML Code:
ul.children {width:14em;}
The arrows still don't show though.

Amended code...
HTML Code:
ul.children li.page_item {
width: 14em;
}

Last edited by lmilesw; Jun 17, 2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Code not quite correct.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
mlanger

16 posts · Sep 2009
Arizona
This fixed the menu width problem but not the submenus opening on top of the previous level.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
mlanger

16 posts · Sep 2009
Arizona
Quote:
I now see what you mean. I just upgraded a site to WP 3 and Ata 3.5.1 and the sub-menus can't be increased in size plus the little arrows that indicate a sub-menu aren't visible.
This is my problem. See the "Multi-Day Excursions" menu on http://www.arizonaphotoadventures.com/. This menu should be several levels deep.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yeah.... I didn't check second level menus.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
mlanger

16 posts · Sep 2009
Arizona
Quote:
Yeah.... I didn't check second level menus.
I really don't know anything about the inner workings of this theme. As you can see from looking at my example site, I worked hard to get it to look the way it does -- it perfectly matches my printed material. I'd really hate to scrap all that work just because I can't get the multi-level menu system to work.

Is it possible that it conflicts with some new menu code in WordPress 3? Who can fix this? Or at least look into it? I'm at a complete loss. I'm in the process of moving the site from an old ISP hosting account to a new one and would really like to finish up.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
OK... What did you do? I was looking at your site and navigating to some sub levels when everything started working properly.

>Update<
I was navigating to various pages, one of which had day 1, day 2, etc. links on the bottom. After I clicked on one of those links I was at the page requested and the menus were working. I then went to the home page and all was good until I exited the site and came back to it via your link in the forum thread.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jun 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:48 AM
randall

6 posts · Jun 2010
Hodnet, North Shropshire, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to randall
Dear All,

I have just posted a message to a different thread which is relevant to this discussion. You can find it here:

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showpos...21&postcount=3

I too am having problems with the drop down menus and am relieved to find I m not on my own.

The above message has more details but they are at the moment displayed differently in Firefox and IE6. Screenshots and links can be viewed here:

http://www.hodnet.org.uk/help_please/

Happy for a reply to either list.

Thanks - Randall
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:21 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
alright, I know what is causing this. In wordpress 3.0 when you have a sub-page, the <ul> is being assigned a class of 'children' which is causing some CSS to be applied. Let me take a look at a fix, check back on this thread later this morning (it is currently 8:19 AM EST)

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 18, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 07:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
please follow this on http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...4704#post34704