Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Atahualpa 3.4.2 speed issues ??

Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
Dr.GameMaker

7 posts · Jul 2009
Israel
Hi,

I am experiencing VERY SLOW speed on my site. sometimes it takes to generate a page 3-10 seconds (you see it on the footer of the page).

my new site is running wordpress 2.8.1 and Atahualpa 3.4.2.

I changed themes and it helped! so I think it has to do with Atahualpa 3.4.2.

I also disabled the Tags widget from the sidebars and that helped too.

I looked in the source of the generated HTML and I see over 500 lines of code!?!?! is that normal?

with a javascript of about 300 lines?!?!

can anyone help? give me a clue where to start looking?

the site: www.gamemakertutorials.com

The plugins I use are:
  1. Akismet
  2. All in one seo pack
  3. my category order
  4. sociable
  5. WP-Email
  6. WP-Polls
  7. WP-PostRatings
  8. WP-PostViews
  9. WP-SuperCache

Thanks,
Dr.GameMaker
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Packet loss on your network = hosting issue, not related to Atahualpa. Install WinMTR to test. Atahualpa is not slow. Hosting and networks sometimes are, especially on budget hosts.

You can set CSS and Javascript to external to reduce the code size, in the theme options
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:11 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
If the site is running on your own server or you have root access, I would recommend optimizing apache, or dropping apache for a lighter system alltogether.

You should 1. install a php accellerator (should at least decrease page-load time by 50%), then as important disable all apache modules that you don't need to get memory use down (I had in default around 200mb of free memory needed in standard suse 11.1 apache with mod_php - disabling about 10 modules got this down to around 50-60MB needed for page creation).

In case you install eaccelerator or xcache I would go for wp supercache plus (I think even without php accelerator it is faster as supercache and also gzipps wp-cache).

Definitely don't install php_speedy, it will make your pages faster to load, but needs alot of cpu and memory.

I was kicked out from my first hoster due to high cpu_usage once I got to around 5000-15.000 page-views per day, even though I had wp supercache running, and then later often crashed my own dedicated server (2.66GHz Celeron, 1GB Ram) because I had not optimized apache nor implemented a php accelerator.

atahualpa still doubles page load time for me compared to standard theme, but my server is now pretty stable and this morning even survived a spammer attack (I limited my server to have max 50 concurrent connections)
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:46 PM
Dr.GameMaker

7 posts · Jul 2009
Israel
Thanks, Is there anything I can do from my side to help make it faster? remove a specific widget or will moving the javascript to an external file help?
are the 300 javascript line of code part of the Atahualpa theme normal installation?

I am running on godaddy shared hosting plans ...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 04:26 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Setting CSS and JS to external will help for subsequent page views but might make the first page view slightly slower. But all this is in the milli seconds range. A hosting issue or an overall bad hosting will very, very easily outweigh any small performance improvements through onsite optimization.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:38 AM
Dr.GameMaker

7 posts · Jul 2009
Israel
Okay, I decided to try and move from Godaddy to another hosting company. I read your post about the 3 recommended hostings. The first one (vectorlevel) looks great but they don't answer their phone.

Between liquidweb and HostGator which would you recommend??

(please take into account that i have speed issues right now at goddady with shared hosting and I will continue with shared in the new provider also).

Thanks,
Dr.GameMaker
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:54 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
HostGator is also a the-world-for-a-buck host albeit possibly the best one. If you aren't pushing many hundreds of Gigabytes transfer per month I'd choose a host with a set, realistic (= low) transfer limit or else you'll end up in between users who may now and then tear down the server with their high usage sites.

I have not had a virtual account for ages.

Liquidweb is supposed to have superb always-on support but I never used them personally.

Cyberwurx.com had the best support I experienced personally but that was for a server. Cyberwurx has also a very good reputation and has been around since 10 years or so.

all-inkl.com has a very good reputation in Germany in case you speak German

Make sure you get mod_deflate or gzip enabled on web server level so you don't have to deal with it. Also a PHP cache such as XCache improves speed considerably. Short geographical distance between server and website visitors also helps, as well as a non-oversold quality network with good troughput rates. You can test this by asking the provider for a test download link. They'll provide a 10 or 100 MByte file which you download at different times of the day over and over and let others in other countries (where you visitors are from) also download them, or use test sites which offer speed test services such as http://internetsupervision.com/ (try to compare pages with lots of text or html or else short pages will have an advantage at internetsupervision and appear to be faster)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
Dr.GameMaker

7 posts · Jul 2009
Israel
Flynn, you are 100% right - Atahualpa had nothing to do with the speed.

I move hosting companies! From Godaddy to HostGator (it was in your list of recommended hosting) I am still in basic shared hosting. The site is running about 10 times FASTER. from 3+ seconds to generate the html it dropped to 0.25 seconds

Thank you very much for the support.