Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Blog Title & First Link Priority SEO Issue

Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
[SOLVED] Blog Title & First Link Priority SEO Issue

There is an SEO issue with Atahualpa that I'm trying to fix, and I'm wondering if anyone out here ever played with first link priority in blog title in Atahualpa.

Currently the CSS that formats the blog title is applied to the <h1> tag. Does anyone know a way to apply it to the <a> tag that's wrapped within instead?

If you don't know why this may be important, see explanation below or watch this YouTube video (skip to 2min 48sec)

When a given page has more than one link pointing to another page, only the first link's anchor text (as it comes in code) is considered for relevance. So if you have two links, the first one better not be an image, or you'll miss out on relevant anchor text juice.

Blog titles are perfect to transferring the juice as they're often the first link on every page that points to the home page (and hopefully have relevant anchor text)

But if you don't want to have the ugly text-based blog title you would traditionally apply CSS to the link's <a> tag to swap it with an image.

The problem with Atahualpa is that the <a> tag is not what gets formatted by blog title CSS - the <h1> tag that wraps it does.

Which means that the the parent tag gets swapped with an image, and the link disappears behind it, rendering the logo unclickable.

It's all fine and dandy as far as Google is concerned, but the user can't navigate to home page by clicking on the blog title.

The only solution is to format the <a> tag of the blog title instead.

Anyone know how to do this?

Last edited by flyboy; Apr 23, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
And here is another video that says that first link priority is a non issue. I choose to trust the Google Webmaster channel.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
Hah - so typical of me: having spent 2 hours trying to come up with a complex solution, not 5 minutes after I posted this I came up with a simple one =(

Code:
.blogtitle a {
display:block;
text-indent: -1000em;
background: url(/images/keyword-rich-image-name.gif) no-repeat 0 0;
width: 400px;
height: 50px;
}
D-oh!

Last edited by flyboy; Apr 23, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks for that video, but actually both are correct. It's just that we're talking about two similar, yet slightly different things here:

The first video is all about multiple links to the same page (in which case the first one is the important).
The second video talks about multiple links period. Although the question was misinterpreted (you can hear the question actually asking about the same thing as I do, but then he says "if I understand this question correctly...", and then proceeds to talk about the slightly different versions of it).

So his answer deals with having, say 10 links pointing to 10 pages. The order won't make much dif (although that has been debated too, but I don't put too much stock into such debates).

Last edited by flyboy; Apr 23, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Gotcha... Glad you found a solution. Can we close as solved?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
You bet. Thanks!
I'd close it as solved, but don't know how