Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Doh! I majorly screwed something up!

Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
taylorefl

49 posts · Dec 2009
Tampa, Florida
Using Ata 3.44, WP 2.9.1.
So I was messing around in the functions.php... a place where no php-moron should be... trying to insert the code below to get the Featured Post Widget to work. I entered this code (<?php featuredpostsList(); ?>) within the php string and clicked Save. Then the screen went blank and so did the test website. So I back clicked, erased the new code and clicked save but that didn't change anything. Disappeared... poof... gone from the universe. A restart of Firefox didn't help the situation.

Did I just fry the whole thing? (Thankfully, I backed up the database yesterday)

Argh...

Last edited by taylorefl; Jan 21, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I would just upload a fresh copy of that file, and don't mess with that kind of thing in future. :-) You generally never need to modify those core files to get widgets to work.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Were you editing it in the theme editor? Where did you get this template.php from? Do you mead the 'Main Index template - i.e. index.php? Because there isn't a 'template.php' file in Atahualpa and I don't even think there is a template.php in Wordpress,

If it was the index.php, just upload a fresh copy
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:41 PM
taylorefl

49 posts · Dec 2009
Tampa, Florida
Juggledad: I was in the WP editor area, and Theme Functions (functions.php). My bad... a bit freaked out.

Not sure how to get a fresh copy of that file? Then I could simply upload it in the file directory?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:43 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I assume you're talking about this theme? Where did you get it in the first place? You can download it from this forum again and FTP the file to your site.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
taylorefl

49 posts · Dec 2009
Tampa, Florida
Yes, it's Ata 3.4.4. I'm totally new to WP and I simply downloaded the ata theme into the blank WP architecture. It's easy until you screw something up, right?

If I upload a fresh copy of the theme, will that erase all the work I've put into the plugins, widgets, etc.?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Nope, all the work you have done is stored in the database. The code simple goes and reads the database to then build the page the way you have created it.

Download a new copy of the theme, unzip it and then upload the functions.php into your atahualpa folder at your host and you should be good to go.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
taylorefl

49 posts · Dec 2009
Tampa, Florida
I just did that and I'm not getting anything... when I click view source on the "live" test page, there's nothing in it. It's if the entire thing has been erased: http://www.tayloreason.com/test/wordpress/
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
When you uploaded Atahualpa again did you upload it to the wp-content/themes folder? When I go to your site and append readme.html to the end of your url I get readme file installed with WordPress. I'm guessing maybe you overwrote some WordPress files and may need to copy them up again. It's kind of hard to decipher without seeing the actual file structure.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:50 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
First you did say you have a backup of the database, right? If not, make a backup.

If you have added any header images to the theme folder and don't have a copy on your local machine, use FTP and download a copy of the atahualpa folder to our local machine.

Once that is done, using FTP make sure the default theme is in the theme folder and if it is, delete the atahualpa folder - this will get rid of atahualpa (you can reinstall it later) and WordPress should go back to using the default theme.

You should be able to get in at this point...unless you did something that really mucked things up.

If things are still not working, I would
1) upload a new copy of wordpress not touching the wp-config.php or the wp-content folder
2) if that still didn't work I'd have to suspect damage to the db
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
taylorefl,

I looks like you got your site back. What did you have to do?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
taylorefl

49 posts · Dec 2009
Tampa, Florida
A friend helped me, but, essentially, she downloaded the home files from my host site to her local hard drive and replaced each file with a new one until it worked again. Learned my lesson. Ugh...