Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Bullets corrupted on Categories widget

Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
Centinel

5 posts · Mar 2013
Thanks so much for releasing Montezuma! I've been looking for a sleek new look for my personal Web site, and I've finally found it

I use Piwik to track visitors. Ever since I inserted the Piwik tracking code in the header.php sub template, the bullets on my sidebar's "Categories" widget don't display properly. You can see it here: http://www.js-wordsmith.com.

What should I do to fix this?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What was the code you inserted?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Your plugin seems to have its own stylesheet that's giving:

Code:
.widget > ul > li:before {
content: '203a �0a0�0a0';
}
which looks like what you're getting.

Probably the easiest thing will be to override it with something with a higher priority.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
Centinel

5 posts · Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
What was the code you inserted?
<!-- Piwik -->
<script type="text/javascript">
var _paq = _paq || [];
_paq.push(["trackPageView"]);
_paq.push(["enableLinkTracking"]);

(function() {
var u=(("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https" : "http") + "://www.js-wordsmith.com/piwik/";
_paq.push(["setTrackerUrl", u+"piwik.php"]);
_paq.push(["setSiteId", "2"]);
var d=document, g=d.createElement("script"), s=d.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; g.type="text/javascript";
g.defer=true; g.async=true; g.src=u+"piwik.js"; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s);
})();
</script>
<!-- End Piwik Code -->
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:34 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can't just put any code into the virtual templates - see the tab in the upper right 'Limited PHP Code' to see what is valid. You meed to add a dynamic-sidebar (a widget area) and put your code in it.

you also should apply PATCH 113-01 you can find it at the top of this forum as a sticky.

Last edited by lmilesw; Mar 18, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
You might also find this thread helpful.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
Centinel

5 posts · Mar 2013
D'oh! I guess that's what I get for not paying attention. Thanks for the link, Jerry; I'll read it over in its entirety after this week from hell is finally over. I'm afraid I don't quite understand your earlier suggestion to override 203a whatever with something "higher priority." If you can't tell...yeah, I'm kind of a newb.

Okay, I created a new dynamic sidebar called "Piwik" and stuck the tracking code in there with a widget from the HTML Javascript Adder plugin. After that, I applied the patch. The bullets still aren't displaying properly, though. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks for the help so far. You guys are great!

Last edited by Centinel; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:05 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centinel
I'm afraid I don't quite understand your earlier suggestion to override 203a whatever with something "higher priority." If you can't tell...yeah, I'm kind of a newb.

The bullets still aren't displaying properly, though. Is there something else I need to do?
Unless you're going to use WP out of the box with no changes, you're going to need to learn some basics about HTML, CSS, and, maybe, PHP.

The C in CSS stands for cascading. There's a pecking order as to how it works. All things being equal, a later declaration will override an earlier one of the same weight. In MZ, clearfix.css loads last. If you edit it by going to :

Dashboard > Appearance > MZ Options > CSS files > clearfix.css

and add the following line to the end, it will override the 203a... that isn't working

Code:
content: '\203a \00a0\00a0';
}
Ah, I just looked at mine, and it seems that somehow, you just lost your back slashes. Probably by some editor you were using. This might fix it. You might also be able to just edit the widgets.css file.

Have you been editing you css files by some other method than the dashboard interface? If so, that's not recommended, particularly for a newb.

Last edited by jerryc; Mar 18, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: edit quote marks
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:58 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
please ignore Jerryc, he is 'trying' to be helpful but tends to muddy the water.

please go to MTO->CSS Files->widgets.css and scroll down to the bottom, then look up about 50 lines of code and you should see the comment
HTML Code:
/* Uncomment to have a > character in front of LI items. Using CSS ISO codes and 
the :before or :after pseudo selectors. An alternative to images. For other CSS ISO codes 
see http://www.evotech.net/blog/2007/04/named-html-entities-in-numeric-order/ */ 
what are the next four lines after it? They should be
HTML Code:
	content: '\203a \00a0\00a0'; 
	margin-left: -10px;
}
1) have you made any changes tothis file? if not, scrool to the bottom and press the reset 'css_widgets' button and then 'Save Changes'. Go back and look at that code again. What do you now have there?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:57 AM
Centinel

5 posts · Mar 2013
No, it's alright - I do need to learn this. I'm hardly the type of user that wants everything to work with minimal effort; it's just that I've got a lot of other stuff to learn at the moment, too. I will give this a read after the current week settles down, but my priority for now is to just get this working again.

It's strange. No matter whether I try Jerry's solution or juggledad's, the \203a \00a0 \00a0 always ends up corrupted again after I save the changes. IE, I paste Jerry's solution in, hit save, and it shows:

Quote:
content: '203a �0a0�0a0';
}
It behaves this way even if I reset the appropriate CSS file and try again.

And no, I haven't edited the CSS files with anything other than the editor.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
please remove the code Jerry asked you to enter.

Do you know what type of host you are runing on? ie. apache or Windows?
who is the host?

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 19, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:55 AM
Centinel

5 posts · Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
please remove the code Jerry asked you to enter.

Do you know what type of host you are runing on? ie. apache or Windows?
who is the host?
Done.

I've got shared hosting through Stablehost. According to their "why us" page, their servers run CloudLinux and they use Litespeed as the Web server.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you would like me to poke around a bit, send me a PM with an admin ID/pw