Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Sidebar Text Widget as Exclusive Category Feed

Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:22 PM
LindaMuller

10 posts · Aug 2009
Smethport, Pennsylvania
I've worked on this for over a week, searched BFA and still cannot solve the problems. I hope someone can help me.

I created a text widget to show the latest posts from a particular category [Audio-Video] in a sidebar.

Here are the 2 problems:

1. I want to exclude the category from showing up in the center column.

2. Except on the home page, the entire text of the post shows up in the sidebar. It does not keep the excerpt limit.

See the site here....

Note the right-inner sidebar section: Latest Audio-Video

It looks OK on the home page but on all others the entire sidebar is filled with the full text of the post.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
ahkiam

1 posts · Aug 2009
I find it easier to achieve this with the Query Posts or Side Posts plugin widget that a text widget, so you might check those out.

I noticed that the hover css in your vertical menu is changing from using border-bottom (at the navigation section) to text-decoration (the others) which causes the underline to appear different widths and for text to move up in down when the border-bottom activates. Just FYI.

I'm more than a little surprised to see Buchanan using open source software. I hope the experience is liberalizing...
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
LindaMuller

10 posts · Aug 2009
Smethport, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkiam
I find it easier to achieve this with the Query Posts or Side Posts plugin widget that a text widget, so you might check those out.

I noticed that the hover css in your vertical menu is changing from using border-bottom (at the navigation section) to text-decoration (the others) which causes the underline to appear different widths and for text to move up in down when the border-bottom activates. Just FYI.

I'm more than a little surprised to see Buchanan using open source software. I hope the experience is liberalizing...
Thanks for the tips. I tried Query Posts and it works fine. Category Posts Widget is the one I'm using and it's ok too.

But neither one solved the annoying problem of once off the home page, posts in the sidebar show the full text and not an excerpt.

ps -- http://forum.bytesforall.com/images/smilies/redface.gif I will clean up the CSS soon as I get some of these other issues solved. I am keeping watch on the XHTML - its still Strict and valid http://forum.bytesforall.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
LindaMuller

10 posts · Aug 2009
Smethport, Pennsylvania
Update: I solved the problem by adding a left-inner Sidebar and keeping all of the content from the right-inner except for the category post content.

Then I kept the right-inner for the home page and put left-inner on all other singles, pages, etc.