Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
strangelove

29 posts · Feb 2009
I have made modest modifications to Atahulapa for my Watching YouTube blog. The blog is primarily new/resaerch items, targeting researchers.

My design goals are ease of navigation, clean look, minimal clutter. Pages have consistent look and feel.

Recently removed one sidebar (left) to reduce visual clutter and added Dig Dig Facebook and Twitter icons to increase sharing of items.

Nothing sexy or clever about my design -- I have made no CSS alterations.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:54 AM
The Gourmand & the Peasan

12 posts · Jun 2010
SupraTT -

I love what you've done - I use Atahulapa for my cooking blog too! Can you tell me how you got the thumbnail images to show up next to the search results? For instance, I searched "pasta" in the search form and I see all the little pics from the relevant posts. I've been trying to figure that out for days! Thanks - Emily www.thegourmandandthepeasant.com
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:48 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
And again a new design ready: http://www.verenigingswerk.nl/
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:40 PM
soricon

1 posts · Jun 2010
Two new websites, also based on Atahualpa theme.

The Fantastic Mom (for my wife)

Review Horizon (mine)

I think I checked over 50 themes by now. Nothing comes even close to Atahualpa in terms of sheer flexibility.

Thank you!!!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:18 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Here's one I made for my friend Jennifer DailyDemitasse.com and not sure if I shared before, but here is my own coffee website MyCoffeePro.com

I have a super-secret one I'm creating for a client right now, but as soon as her business goes "live" then I'll post the link to it.

I just love the fact that I can manipulate Atahualpa so much to create very different looks.
Every time I attempt to use another theme, I get quickly frustrated by their lack of flexibility.

Cheers,
Chase.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
smitp11

24 posts · May 2010
Gotta love this theme, not only for it's flexibility, but for the awesome support you get off these forums. Each time I have asked a question on here, someone has given me the solution. I have been looking through some of the sites in this "showing off" forum and it is clear to me that you can use this theme for any project, it is so adaptable. That being said, here's my first site using atahualpa 3.49, be gentle...

http://www.myfallriver.ca/

Patrick.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Nice clean site Patrick. Mind if I ask what you used for the HRM News scroller?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:34 AM
smitp11

24 posts · May 2010
Hi Larry,

I used this:

http://remysharp.com/2008/09/10/the-...mooth-marquee/

It uses <UL> and <LI>, so I feed these in using the RSSImport plugin.

It took a while to work it all out, but I got there in the end.

Patrick.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
jjgrosso

4 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye
OK I will toss in two of mine. Comments, critiques and criticisms much appreciated!

http://www.eyeonannapolis.net

http://www.singleparenttravel.net

Ok, Im a total NEWB here and just learning WP. I have done some webdev stuff in the past but nothing with code....all WYSIWYG. Anywho, I love your eyeonannapolis site and Im curious how you got the thing to look that way with the background and such.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That site is not currently using Atahualpa but you could get that look using background images.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:19 PM
jjgrosso

4 posts · Jul 2010
Larry, thanks for the info. I can definitely make a background image and have done so...however getting the height correct seems to be a guessing game.

Im sure you guys & gals are going to hear more from me in the future. Ive been lurking on this site now for about 2 days digging around and searching.

However due to my very newb level of knowledge when it comes to CSS and other code Im going to have to rely heavily on this forum and all the current info there, as well as potentially ask questions from time to time. So far this seems like one heck of a cummunity.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
To some extent it is a guessing game but if you use tools like Firebug, Web Developer for Firefox, screen rulers, and color pickers you can whittle the guess time down considerably. Boning up on CSS is a big deal but Firebug can help with that as well as it auto fills when testing.

Have Fun... Glad to have you with us.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 05:32 PM
jjgrosso

4 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy
Atahualpa is definitely one of the very best theme out there.

I'm sure I haven't done anything too advanced on my movie blog but here it is:
Your site is AWESOME looking man. Good work! I wish I had the knowledge you have to do what ya did. Im sure in time I will.

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 2, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
jjgrosso - FYI CastorTroy is no longer using Atahualpa
Old Jul 2, 2010, 09:54 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Patrick,

What about the events calendar?

When I looked at your code via Firebug, I saw it called "jd-calendar", but when I Google that, I get links for Joomla ...?

Thanks,
Chase.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:15 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
That calendar is one I'm using on 3 sites. It's called My Calendar in the WP plugin repository. It's a fork off of the Kieran O'Shea calendar I had been using, but it's better. Joe Dolson is the developer and he's very responsive to questions, complaints, ideas.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 02:21 AM
RFerreira

3 posts · Jul 2010
Ft. Eustis, VA
Send a message via Yahoo to RFerreira Send a message via Skype™ to RFerreira
First off, I'd like to thank Flynn for such an incredibly powerful theme. I've been using ATA for about 8 months but didn't realize how much can actually be done in the backend... Anyway, thanks Flynn and to the whole community for your posts. This forum has helped me out greatly. Still have a jQuery conflict but still searching around to see if I can figure this out.

I've viewed quite a few websites that folks put up using ATA and am very impressed with the flexibility and customization that others have made to this theme. I've recently overhauled my website to reflect a new venture and have been messing around with the code for about a week now and believe that it's coming close to it's finish. I still need loads of content for the site, but I think the design is about done.

Please, if you have a chance, check out my site and critique the crap out of it for me!! I greatly appreciate all of the work that has gone into this theme as well as the amount of support that comes with a free theme! One word - AWESOME!! Donation coming your way Flynn, thanks so much again.

Rob
The Daily Grind! - http://ibprosource.com

What I'm using:
Atahualpa 3.5.1
WP 3.0
Most Recent Versions of PHP, MySQL and APACHE on shared IP

Last edited by RFerreira; Jul 3, 2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Adding versions on use...
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:30 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
That calendar is one I'm using on 3 sites. It's called My Calendar in the WP plugin repository. It's a fork off of the Kieran O'Shea calendar I had been using, but it's better. Joe Dolson is the developer and he's very responsive to questions, complaints, ideas.
Thanks as always paulae for being so knowledgable
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:36 AM
smitp11

24 posts · May 2010
Hi,

I see your question has been answered. MyCalendar is a great plug-in, it is very well supported with a great forum. New features are being added all the time. Enjoy!

Patrick.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
Anya Coleman

1 posts · Jul 2010
Frisco, TX
Just thought I would show off my website. http://friscophotographer.com. It was originally a handcoded site that looked almost the same, still got some work to do but I thought I would show it off already.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:34 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Nice Job Anya. Nice photography too.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
intensecogitation

3 posts · Jun 2010
My blog at http://intensecogitation.info isn't the prettiest, but the options in Atahualpa made it extremely easy to setup and customize. It's one of the few themes where you can just directly edit the theme options without needing to manipulate the PHP files for most tasks. :D
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Hi intensecigitation. The prettiness of a site is less important than the content anyway. I did notice you did not have this bug fix applied. Your menu items with submenus are affected. Especially in IE. Just thought you would want to know.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:23 AM
ttf

2 posts · Jul 2010
Hi everyone, I am more of a novice, bought thesis and now feeling constrained because of its lack of flexibility. I have spent so many hours learning to use it that switching to Atahualpa will be painful but at the same time unavoidable. My site: http://blog.thetradersforum.net/

I need some guidance, I need to give my blog the look of a press release similar to http://www.zerohedge.com/ My question is how do those guys manage to put featured posts in columns as well as rows on home page.

Any guidance will be much appreciated and is much needed Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Check out ATO>Add NEW WIDGET AREAS. To do something similar to the site you showed you could create a 3 cell widget area in the header and put a recent posts widget in each with perhaps different categories selected if the widget allows.

I had a customer who bought Thesis and wanted me to tweak her site. After a very short time I got frustrated, installed Atahualpa and with 30 minutes I had a very similar look and feel with all the added flexibility. It was fun to see the backend of Thesis as I am now even more convinced that Atahualpa rocks.