Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

A couple minor styling questions

Old May 13, 2009, 10:29 AM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Flynn - couple things I'd like to try:

An earlier post deals with removing headlines from pages - but looks like the structure of 333 is radically different now regarding index & function files - how would someone do that with the new setup?

And - is there a way to template that for specific pages? Would I need a different functions file and call to that in a template?

Also regarding headlines - is there a way to have, say, a one-word headline in the page menu vs. a longer headline on the page - to keep the menu small & concise? (I suppose that killing the page title and then adding it as an H1 in the wordpress- edit page could work though?)

And finally... is there a CSS insert that would allow me to style dropdown menu text differently than top-level menu text? (I've got a client that wants to see how close I can replicate an existing HTML site - in this case all caps main, lower case dropdowns).

THANKS for your help!
Old May 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The parts of a post are these in index.php. I added a conditional tag (GREEN) to exclude some parts on static pages

<?php if ( !is_page() ) { ?>
<?php bfa_post_kicker(); // Post Kicker: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_headline(); // Post Headline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_byline(); // Post Byline: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>
<?php } ?>
<?php bfa_post_bodycopy(); // Post Bodycopy: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_pagination(); // Post Pagination: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php // Archives Pages. Displayed on a specific static "Page" page, if configured at Theme Options -> Archives Pages:
bfa_archives_page(); // To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

<?php bfa_post_footer(); // Post Footer: To edit the output, see functions/bfa_post_parts.php ?>

To create a page template, see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=711

To style top and lower levels in the menu bars differently you'd have to use CSS Inserts.
Use Firebug to see the classes or IDs involved. Often a style you gave the parent will be applied to the its children (the submenus), too. Reset the styling for submenus by applying the old/default style on them again after you defined the styling for the parents.
Old May 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
bcorrigan

85 posts · Feb 2009
I use the Page Menu Editor Plugin to make shorter titles for menus and also add the title Attribute for accessibility purposes.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:59 PM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
thanks guys, I'll get on it -

bcorrigan - does that plugin keep the full title in The code for SEO?

Thanks again - MC
Old May 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
bcorrigan

85 posts · Feb 2009
Good question. I haven't investigated to see if it does or doesn't. I do know that SEO adds fields to put in whatever you want, so if it does, you can put it back in through SEO. But I should check. Not sure how to. Do a google search?
Old May 17, 2009, 08:59 AM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
Nope, just try it and check your source in a browser.

And the answer is, works great - on a test site, I have "location" in the menu bar, but the headline on the page (and in the page title tag) is "the ultimate Texas Hill Country location", my keyword-heavy marketing title. Very cool, thanks for the headzup!