Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

BWS plugins and Montezuma Theme

Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:44 PM
jlee0409

11 posts · Feb 2013
I would like to use a couple of the BWS plugins, specifically Gallery and Portfolio but they are not working with Montezuma due to the Virtual Templates. When you create a new page and try to set the template to Gallery or Portfolio via BWS instructions it overrides Montezuma's Virtual Template system and really messes up the format of the site, rendering it useless. Is there a way around this?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
a link to the plugin would be helpful
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:53 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee0409
I would like to use a couple of the BWS plugins, specifically Gallery and Portfolio but they are not working with Montezuma due to the Virtual Templates. When you create a new page and try to set the template to Gallery or Portfolio via BWS instructions it overrides Montezuma's Virtual Template system and really messes up the format of the site, rendering it useless. Is there a way around this?
There's one I use (but not everybody likes it). I had a similar problem with another plugin, and my workaround was to put the page generated by the plugin into an iframe, then put that iframe into another page that I could format with MZ. Unless somebody does a view source, they'll never know you did it.

You might have to edit the plugin code to remove a few things such as the header and footer, and maybe a sidebar, but I find that's usually easier than trying to add MZ formatting to a plugin.

Last edited by jerryc; Mar 23, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:03 PM
jlee0409

11 posts · Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
a link to the plugin would be helpful
http://bestwebsoft.com/plugin/gallery-plugin/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gallery-plugin/
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you are right, it doesn't work with Montezuma. It also doesn't work with Atahualpa since the plug in developer's template is assuming that all themes will be coded the exact same way (a bad assumption) - I downloaded a couple other themes and tried them and it also messes up the looks of them.

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 24, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:53 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
A simpler solution might be to find another plugin. There are lots of image plugins.

If you really want to use this one, the iframe doesn't work for you, and you know or are willing to learn some PHP, then there is an advanced solution. You could run the ugly page through some string functions to strip out the offending code, then put just the code you want into your page.

This thread can give you some options on how to include PHP in a MZ site.

This post will give you some ideas about extracting good content from an ugly plugin.

Last edited by jerryc; Mar 23, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:06 PM
jlee0409

11 posts · Feb 2013
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions of gallery/portfolio plugins that work like the BWS plugins do I would appreciate if you share those with me. I will continue my search.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:36 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee0409
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions of gallery/portfolio plugins that work like the BWS plugins do I would appreciate if you share those with me. I will continue my search.
What are the features you are looking for?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:43 PM
jlee0409

11 posts · Feb 2013
I would like some form of gallery plugin that would allow me to have a photography page and and do various post of a few images here and there. Would like these images to be able to to clicked on and pop open in a lightbox (preferably dark theme) and also be responsive. For my portfolio page I picture having some kind of plugin that would allow me to post an image of a site or project that I am working on and give some details about it. If you check out the BWS portfolio at this link http://bestwebsoft.com/plugin/portfolio-plugin/ you can see the features I was hoping to get but unfortunately it isn't working with Montezuma
Old Mar 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
It sounds like many of the gallery plugins would work for you. Even the gallery function of WordPress along with perhaps some of the modules of Jetpack could do what you want. For the modal window effect you could use a plugin like Easy Fancybox or the premium Foo Box.

A place to check for some premium plugins is Code Canyon.