Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

One Full post and then excerpts on Category

Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:35 AM
newfield_no1

1 posts · Dec 2009
Sweden
Hi.

Atahualpa is super but I can't solve this problem.

I whant the first post to be full and all the others to be excerpts on the category pages.
Just as I can do in the Homepage.

Simple I suppose but I cant find the solution.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:39 AM
bignall

21 posts · Dec 2009
Oh good, someone with the same question as I. Only I'd like either all posts to be full posts or at least the first several. Could someone point in the right direction on how to do this?

Edit: Oh I found it after reading more posts on this forum. Under "Configure EXCERPTS", set "Posts or excerpts on CATEGORY pages?" to Full Posts.

It would be nice to be able to set the first X number of them, but I'm happy to have all of them.

Rosina
http://blog.rosinabignall.com/
http://www.tamarr.org/

Last edited by bignall; Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:10 PM
mjrouleau

4 posts · Dec 2009
I have exactly the same question as you, newfield_no1. I hope someone comes up with an answer! In the meantime, if I find something, I'll let you know!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
mjrouleau

4 posts · Dec 2009
I found a work around that works for me in this thread: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=177

It is not exactly the same thing as to have the first post displayed as full, but it can have a similar effect. I thought this might be useful to you too, until a better solution arises.

In short, you install the "Category page" plugin, which allows you to add a page content on top of a category page, and you do this:

1. Select the file named Main Index Template (index.php)

2. Look for the following code :
<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0; /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

3. Paste the code listed below just after,
<?php if( is_category() AND function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>

4. Click Update File

Note: To link a page to the category there must be at least one post in that category. If the category is empty the plugin connection does not work.

I am using Atahualpa 3.4.4 and WP 2.8.6

Good luck!
M-J
Old Jan 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I was recently doing an extensive search for "Excerpt" plugins and came across Excerpt Editor which does just what you want, I think. After installing the plugin you go to Tools>Excerpt Editor and select the Replace Posts tab. There is a setting there to display excerpts on certain pages and the last selection is "but show the latest post full". It worked great for me.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
victorm

11 posts · Feb 2010
already using the excerpts plugin myself, it's a good solution. you might want to craft the excerpts manually though, I did not like the way it truncates phrases.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
kam

5 posts · Dec 2009
I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure this one out as well.

The Excerpt Editor plugin wont work for me because the main category I’m trying to display is an event calendar and needs to be displayed in event order, not by post order…

After much reading, I believe the fix to my problem is to implement a “Mullet Loop” as described here:

http://perishablepress.com/press/200...oop-templates/

But I’m just not code savvy enough to figure out how to make it work in my Atahualpa theme site..

Can anyone give me some detailed instructions as to what codes goes where in my loop to make this go?

Thanks so much!

Kam.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Are you talking about simply displaying upcoming events in a sidebar? Or must they be events as posts?

I use Kieran O'Shea's Calendar plugin, and it will display on a page and also in the sidebar as upcoming events and/or today's events, in chronological order. There is a new calendar plugin based on Kieran's, My Calendar, which is nicer-looking. I'm using it here: aghca.org. On my main site, I haven't moved to the new one yet because there is as yet no easy way to import the future events data into the new calendar's database tables.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
kam

5 posts · Dec 2009
We do both actually. When a user comes to the site they are redirected to the upcoming events category. This way, the first page on the site is the full version of the next event in the calendar.

What I would like to be able to do is always have the first event on the page show full version and all the ones after show excerpts only.

The other reason for this is we use the Simple Google Map pluggin, and only one map per page can be displayed at a time and all the events have a map in them.

For now I’ve gotten around it by setting “Blog pages show at most” to 1.

This is the site: http://www.greencauldron.org