Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] wordpress stats

Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:36 AM
Londonjack

7 posts · Aug 2009
Hi, I just switched from .com to .org and so far everything is great... except for the stats which were really helpful on .com

I am not adept in CSS but I am learning as I go.

I have not been able to install wp stats, and I have spent countless hours trying to decipher the many posts all over the web on this topic.

I don't like Google Analytics - For one thing it doesn't even accume in real time - and I would really like to get the WOP stats going.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to make it work.

Thank you.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:29 AM
AnneTanne

40 posts · Jan 2009
Belgium
When I moved from wordpress.com to a self-hosted Wordpress-blog, I continued to use Wordpress-stats.
What exactly is the problem you encounter? Where did you get stuck?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
Londonjack

7 posts · Aug 2009
Anne, thank you for your reply.

It says this message:

wp-content/cache does not exist: please make sure that the "wp-content/cache" directory is created.

Do you know how to go about his? Thanks again.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
use FTP and create the folder and give it the proper permissions - read the install notes for wp-atats and follow their instructions
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:48 PM
Londonjack

7 posts · Aug 2009
Jugglehead...I thank you, but I really don't know what this means. I did what you suggested re the notes say and I can't get past step 1:

1. Upload stats.php to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory. What is stats/php and where is the directory?
2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
3. It will ask you to enter your WordPress.com API key, do so. Where is my API key?
4. Sit back and wait a few minutes for your stats to come rolling in.

yes, I know, I am stupid...but I have built a pretty darn good site and I am not familiar with these terms or where to find these things. Please help - thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:21 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
1. Upload stats.php to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory. What is stats.php and where is the directory?
2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
3. It will ask you to enter your WordPress.com API key, do so. Where is my API key?
4. Sit back and wait a few minutes for your stats to come rolling in.
(1) When you download a plugin, you get a zip package and when you unzip it, you get a folder of some code. This makes up the plugin. In this case, my guess is that stat.php is the plugin and you must install it

(3) From the sound of it, it looks like you are trying to use something that is specific to wordpress.COM that why they want your wordpress.COM api key.

Where did you download this plugin from?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:56 AM
AnneTanne

40 posts · Jan 2009
Belgium
Maybe this is one of the first plugins you installed?

You say you should upload stats.php to /wp-content/plugins, and you're right, the readme-file tells you to do that.
I must admit I didn't read that text, as it wasn't the first plugin I installed. So I 'wrongly' (?) uploaded the complete stats-directory that you obtain when you unzip the plugin-file.

I would suggest you do like I did:
Unzip the downloaded file.
You should obtain a directory called 'stats', and in that directory you find stats.php, screenshot-1.png, screenshot-2.png, screenshot-3.png, and the readme.txt.
Just upload the complete directory via FTP to your Wordpress-install.
Within the blog directory you find wp-content, and in that in that directory you find the plugins directory. The directory 'stats' should be placed in that directory.
Then you go to your wordpress-admin screen, and activate the plugin.

You can get your WordPress.com API key from Wordpress.com, but as soon as you activate the plugin on your self-hosted site, you will find there detailed instructions on how to find that key. You need to have a wordpress.com account to use with this plugin, but since you moved from WordPress.com, that won't be a problem.

Last edited by AnneTanne; Aug 21, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:12 AM
Londonjack

7 posts · Aug 2009
RESOLVED

THANK YOU Anne and Juggledad...I focused really hard on your instructions and eureka...my stats are up and running and the site is doing realy well.

Thank you both.

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 23, 2009 at 09:06 AM.