Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Page Menu - text and background area have different sizes

Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:12 PM
aahuganda

6 posts · Oct 2009
Hi. I'm a total WP newbie who is trying to get a website up and working for a local non-profit by Thursday for a big event (gulp). I am having two main problems. My website address is: http://aahuganda.org/

1) On the Menu bar, I used the css:

ul.rMenu li {
margin-right: 30px;
}
/*reset for submenus*/
ul.rMenu li ul li {
margin-right: 0;
}

to space out the the top level items. I got this from http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3338. Now there is a difference in size between the parts with text and the red background of the menu bar - the parts of the menu bar without text looks like it is a couple pixels smaller than the parts with text. This existed before I put in the CSS, as well (so I do not think they are linked). Any suggestions on how can I fix this?

2) I would like to put in a different color background (#999999 -grey) to show up on the sides of the main content areas (the filler areas). Do you know how I can set this up within wordpress?

And thanks to the designers and people who have been answering questions on the threads - I really like the template and the reading the past forums have been a big help when I have problems.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:55 PM
MiKemp

10 posts · Oct 2009
Cape Cod
Hi,

Re. #1: I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV, but I'd try reducing the font size, and see if the container shrinks as a result. If that works, you might just go with the smaller font, since you're on such a tight deadline. You didn't ask for "appearance feedback," but to me, the size of the font, combined with the all uppercase, looks a bit too prominent.

Re. #2: If I understand you correctly, you want to change the color of the background behind the sidebars, and that's done in Atahualpa Theme Options > Sidebars & Widgets > Style and configure sidebars. Scroll down near the bottom of the window and you'll an area for each sidebar where you can enter the code for the color you want.

Mike
Old Oct 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
aahuganda

6 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Mike, thanks for your help!

Re #1: I think you are right - the font does need to be smaller. I tried resetting it to the Atahualpa preset (11px) but the container is still smaller than the font. Maybe there is somewhere else that controls the container size in the theme? I've tried looking, but haven't found it.

Re #2: I don't think I explained this well. I want to change the background color that is to the sides of where the template is - like on this site, where there is grey on the sides of website to fill up the space if you have a large monitor. Since there is so much white on my site, I thought it would help define it. The default is white, but I can't figure out where I should change this.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
MiKemp

10 posts · Oct 2009
Cape Cod
Re. #2 - the background is determined in Atahualpa Theme Options > Overall Style & Config. > Body, Text & Links, in the very first section. Basically, you upload an image that's the color you want, and then tell the theme the name of the file and where to find it. There's an example listed for you right in that section.

Re. #1 - I think you've defined one of the extra horizontal bars, yes? I haven't done that in mine, I use the default, which puts it at the top of the page. Anyway, there's a place in Atahualpa Theme Options > Header Area > Style & edit Header Area where you'll see boxes for setting the specs for the bar (Horizontal Bar 1 and 2). Try changing the default Height.

Mike
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:52 PM
aahuganda

6 posts · Oct 2009
All fixed!

Re #2 - I did upload a background image. It started showing up in the center column, as well, so I added a line in the layout container style section and set the layout container to #ffffff.

Re #1 - You gave me an idea - I used my second horozontal bar option to surround the nav bar (so %bar1 %logo %bar2 %pages %bar2 %bar1). I made bar2 2 pixels and the same color as the nav bar. Now it looks like a unified, slightly taller nav bar.

Thanks for all of your help - I really appreciate it!