Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

VERY new to wordpress and atahualpa

Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
estanole

4 posts · Feb 2012
HI- I am VERY new to wordpress and atahualpa, but it seems like a nice theme that might be able to do what I'd like to do. I am having trouble with a couple of things:
1) the widget area only displays "categories", "archives", "sample text", etc- regardles of the changes I have made to the "widget" area of wordpress, or the customization in the atahualpa editor. I am not sure what to do to get my content to display correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2) The "child" pages in the menu bar are not appearing. I wanted to have only "parent pages" appear and then have a drop down menu to display the "child" pages and I followed the intructions on the theme, but I can't seem to fix this problem- any advice?

I'm very much a novice so clear and simple explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
wordpress puts some 'default' widgets into the sidebars until you add your own. Once you add a widget to a sidebar, woedpress says 'Ok, you in control of the widgets, I'll stop'

what is your url?
are you using the Atahualpa default menu or the Wordpress Custom menu?
What version of Atahualpa and WP are you using?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
estanole

4 posts · Feb 2012
Hi-
My url is www.drapratt.com

The widget thing has me puzzled. I have dragged several widgets to the left sidebar- which is where I want them, but they still dont appear on the page even after taking them out, putting them back in and clicking save several times, so I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I created a custom menu with all the pages I created in WP

Atahualpa versino is 3.7.3 and wordpress 3.3.1 (is just the one I access through my host: ipage).

Any insight into how to fix these things would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Being very new to WordPress and Atahualpa I would suggest spending a fair amount of time just going through the various settings for both WordPress and Atahualpa. That will give you the knowledge you will need to move forward. Even if you get clear and simple instructions without some knowledge of how WordPress and the theme work it will still probably be confusing.

There are many tutorials for WordPress on the web as well. Hang in there... It will get easier.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
estanole

4 posts · Feb 2012
thank you- that is precisely what I have been doing. I have spent upwards of about 30 hours- which is why I am asking.
I finally fixed the widget thing- but I am still having trouble with the sub-menus appearing when scrolling down.

I have read the guides and done everything they suggest but still no luck!

thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
If you are talking about the sub menus showing on the menu in the left sidebar that will perhaps take a plugin. The dropdowns on the top menu are working fine.

No problem asking. I just wanted to encourage you and let you know this may take some time. I played with this stuff for months before I felt sort of comfortable and now after several years it comes fairly easily. I still spend many hours each week in learning mode.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 06:33 AM
estanole

4 posts · Feb 2012
Thank you very much. I imagine it must be a browser issue- I will see what I can do. I'm glad that you tell me that the drop down menus work on the menu bar. I can't see them working on my computer, but I will check on this.

I appreciate your help.