Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Child theme compatibilty

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:29 AM
Faffe

22 posts · May 2010
Sweden
Child theme compatibilty

Hello!

It would be nice if Atahualpa supported child themes a little better. I'm getting tired of manually moving language files, header images and favicons on upgrades. Since the native WordPress feature of keeping these things in a child theme folder works for other themes, I see no reason why Atahualpa shouldn't support them. It is the WordPress recommended way of making changes to a theme after all.

For some reason Atahualpa detects the header image folder as /wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa373/images/header/, even though my child them is located in /wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpadjurby/images/header/. The same is true for the favicon folder. Ideally, when there exists a folder in the child theme folder, the contents of that should be used instead of the main theme's. I.e., if there exists a favicon.ico file in /wp/wp-content/themes/atahualpa373/images/favicon/, it should be detected if I set favicon.ico as the favicon file name. An option would be to allow full URLs for the header and favicon.

Please fix this. Aren't you tired of the support questions on every new version, that could be avoided by supporting great WordPress features? Also, child themes allow for easy inclusion of custom functions in functions.php, custom css (if you don't want to store it in the options for some reason, version control maybe?), and probably other great stuff.