Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off - Part II

Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
ylm

1 posts · Dec 2011
The website of my school (french):
http://www.college-chateaubriand-plancoet.fr
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:59 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty

2 days work and a few visits to the forums and here's what I've got ...

http://scouttroop591.org

Awesome!
Marty, how did you get the rounded corners??
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Nice and clean looking! I like the labyrinth! I used Atahualpa for this site:
http://labyrinthsofbc.com/
Though she has done nothing with it since I built if for her!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:14 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I think the site would be imroved by losing the background pattern. It is very distracting and adds nothing to your page. The layout is good.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
kangcarew

14 posts · Dec 2011
I recently started designing a blog for a local business and didn't really have much coding knowledge. I have to say that this thread is invaluable to solving problems and satisfying a client. Thanks to all that post here and share their trials, tribulations, and code. The content isn't mine, but the layout, graphics, and customization are. Feel free to comment if there is something sloppy, or non compliant that I could improve on. Thanks again for making this forum public! http://www.ellanista.com/blog cheers!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
off the top, you want to make the layout the width of your graphic. Otherwise the content below the banner spreads across my whole screen (1900 px)

Atahualpa Theme Options, Style and Configure Layout. Change it from 100% to 1000px.

Also, for javascript and CSS, make them external files
Atahualpa Theme Options/ the bottom box- Configure Javascript and CSS

Optimize your banner image, it loads slowly. It should not be more than 150 k
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:02 PM
kangcarew

14 posts · Dec 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide some feedback. I'll knock your suggestions out in the morning! This has got to be the most useful forum filled with nice, and helpful people who don't make a newb feel like a jerk!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:16 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
No problem. We all have to start somewhere, and I am still learning stuff every time I come here.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:14 AM
kangcarew

14 posts · Dec 2011
What is the advantage for making java and css an external file on a blog like this. I understand doing that if you are making a large site with multiple pages, or if you want to make a change you only make it to the code file. Either way here it is all in one spot though? Is it so there is less code to decipher each time a page loads? I made the changes, just trying to better understand why/how they make a difference. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
when you make the jscript and CSS exteral it loads on teh first page view then it is in the browsers memory so when a visitor goes to anoother page, that code doesn't get reloaded saving a small amount of time. If your site is getting thousands of hits it can make a difference, if you only get a few hits, it won't matter.

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:23 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I was taught that pages with content that start within 100 lines are favoured by search engines. Also, your code is prettier!

Seeing all the CSS and Javascript for the depth of 2 or 3 monitors is like juggling elephants. It is neater to keep it external in my opinion.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:26 AM
SamuelGoh

36 posts · Feb 2010
I prefer the simplistic approach

Mine is www.samuelgohblog.com

Cheers
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:08 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelGoh
I prefer the simplistic approach
I too like this approach. The content then becomes king and after all the content is what the site is there for.

Nice job.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
mrblogfr

2 posts · Jan 2011
France
Hi All,

I am getting skilled with ATA. Thanks.

http://mrblog.net/wp/
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:24 AM
cabdziner

22 posts · Feb 2011
I prefer version 3.5.3 and use it exclusively for most of my client projects.

My site - WordPress Pro Services

The Portfolio page has quite a few sites listed using ATA 3.5.3
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:36 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabdziner

My site - WordPress Pro Services

The Portfolio page has quite a few sites listed using ATA 3.5.3

I am using 3.5.3 on fastharry.com too and I am not sure I want to switch up to the new version.

Leave well enough alone...esp with a few thousand visits a month.,.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
I am using 3.5.3 on fastharry.com too and I am not sure I want to switch up to the new version.
Quote:
be aware, if any issues crop up, they won't be back version fixed and changes to WordPress could eventually cause any old version to stop working.

The only thing you don't have by upgrading is being able to use PHP in the theme options (wordpress requirement) so if you are not using any PHP in the options, you should try upgrading. You can have multiple versions installed on the same site - see here

just saying...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
secretsquirrel

50 posts · Nov 2011
Staffordshire UK
Advice please

I am not showing off, just don't where to post this
http://www.rescueremedies.co.uk/
http://www.staffierescue.co.uk/

2 websites using this theme and tinymc tables plugin for the images.
I am a volunteer, a novice helping a group of Londoners save dogs on death row.

Ok the problem is the sites are perfect on my pc/apple equipment.
I use firefox and the dreaded IE also safari to view

Now some members of the public using IE are saying the page is skewif and looks dreadful.
I know firefox is ideal but I have to cater for the viewers will little IT knowledge.
Please view the image. Any advice appreciated. Thank you Alison

Attachment 1735

Last edited by secretsquirrel; Feb 27, 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I checked your site in IE, FF, Chrome and Safari. Other than being quite slow to load the pictures and banner, it looks fine. I suspect that some of your members may have older browsers and over that you have no control.

Off the top, I would make the javascript and css external.

Make your page names something real with permalinks /%postname%/

I find the heavy use of flash (which might also be a problem for older browsers) irritating. When I click on Staffie or Terrier rescue, waiting for it to load is a drag and then all the special effects drive me nuts. I would be gone, looking for an RSPCA site with less twirly things

I also personally find the amount of red pretty overwhelming, but that is purely a matter of taste. When I checked staffierescue, the colour choices are not just a matter of taste. The pink and blue are very hard to look at together, and once again, I would be quickly gone. Pick colours that are not so harsh and so opposite each other. There are lots of colour scheme generators to help you.

Hope this helps

Last edited by SharonJ; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
secretsquirrel

50 posts · Nov 2011
Staffordshire UK
Thanks Sharon, I have no choice in the colours, the team choose them

'Off the top, I would make the javascript and css external'

As a novice could you explain a little more about your comment
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Go to Atahualpa Theme Options. down at the very bottom there is Configure CSS and JS. The default for some peculiar reason is inline. Pick External. That way your content is about 200 lines closer to the top of your page and it is much neater.

As for the colour, art by committee always sucks. There is a reason the pink and blue page is hard to look at. The colours are not harmonious, especially when you look at it with a lighted monitor, not on a printed page. It is very harsh to the eye.

Have a look at this page:
http://www.colormatters.com/color-an...c-color-theory
Half way down the page is a section on colour harmony and a little further down the page is a section called colour context. Look at that red and blue, how hard it is to look at.

Here is a site that you can play with:
http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp I put in your pink colour and chose a number of different options. Your site's colours are close to the tetradic selection. Look at the attached image and compare.

ps My sister runs Cocker Spaniel Rescue BC here in Canada. www.csrbc.org I did her website a number of years ago, it is basic html. But you will see how the blues and greens are complimentary and it is very easy on the eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colour-wheel.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1736  

Last edited by SharonJ; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
secretsquirrel

50 posts · Nov 2011
Staffordshire UK
I really appreciate your advice, thank you Sharon
I will use the colours on my personal sites

the London websites, I have no control at all, shame really

Cocker site is very easy on the eye
http://www.staffierescue.co.uk/
I have changed to external
Any other tips for a novice, gratefully accepted

Last edited by secretsquirrel; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Sure. Send me a link to your own site. My site is awful because I never have time to update it! Here is one I am working on now....is in a back folder, hence the funny name.
http://ghost.securenet-server.net/~fairburn/
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
secretsquirrel

50 posts · Nov 2011
Staffordshire UK
Sharon I will stay in contact, my own site is on the backburner with all the rescue work

I have solved the issue with internet explorer and the over lapping of images

Google IE compatibility problem and it opens an easy solution, very simple for viewers who favour IE as their choice of browser. Personally prefer FF

Nice clean looking website
Thanks for your support
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:34 PM
CondoAnalysis

12 posts · Feb 2009
This is my recent site re-design. I checked it out on GTmetrix and got a double 'A' grade.

HopeFaithPrayer Blog

How does it read and look?

Thanks, Rex