Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

"Redirect Loop" Issue When Clicking ANY blog link!!??

Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:05 PM
River2Horses

2 posts · Apr 2009
Powhatan, VA
Ok. I am loving this theme. And LOVING to share this with a number of my web clients. (And LOVING to have them DONATE too - because like everyone says, the theme absolutely rocks. Only problem is getting ANY of the links to work.....

I've been using one of my customers as a test bed for the theme. (www.ShamanicPlanet.com/blog1) She loves it, too. After I installed it, she began going nutz with blog entries.

Background: her site is hosted by Yahoo... I even manually upgraded the wordpress software to 2.7.1 so that I could download and use this theme. Came across a NUMBER of problems after the install, all seemingly fixed with yahoo tech support. The last issue (clicking any link taking me to a "redirect loop" page) has Yahoo perplexed. They originally told me it was a server issue (their server). They wrote back yesterday saying:

"We are sorry that you are having trouble with the links within the
WordPress Blog on your Yahoo! Web Hosting account.

We have checked the site and your account is working correctly at this
time. The problem you are having with the links within your blog are an
issue with the blog, and you will want to work with WordPress to figure
out the cause of this problem with your third party software.

We have reports from other customers that this may be related to some
settings in the permalink add on for the blog, but these are not
confirmed, and are still settings within the blog by the blog and for
the blog.

We are sorry that we cannot be of more assistance in this issue."

Oy! Thanks, Yahoo!

Anyone can see the issue by going to the link I provided above, and clicking on any link, including the categories, recent posts, archives, etc., etc.

Would LOVE some help, as I would LOVE to use this theme with at least 2 other clients, PLUS my own blog. Again, LOVING to donate once I can get this working............

Thanx!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:51 PM
River2Horses

2 posts · Apr 2009
Powhatan, VA
Hi Flynn,

I was reading your response to the guy from Tokoyo...about saving the permalinks again, etc. I went into my own permalinks and did the same thing. Nothing. On a "whim" I changed my permalink choice from "Month and Name" to the "default", and the blog worked! for the first time! Ok, so the engineer in me decided to go back and try the other choices...Day and Name, Numeric, and Month and Name, yet again. NONE of them seem to work. I even checked it out on three different browsers: IE, Firefox, and GoogleChrome. Nope.

The ONLY permalink choice that works is the the default one: http://shamanicplanet.com/blog1/?p=123

Is there something I am missing. While I a thrilled to get it working, I am loving to have the ability to provide more meaningful permalinks to this customer's blog.

What can I do to get these working properly??

Thanx!!!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Check your .htaccess file, it is probably not writable
Old Dec 6, 2009, 07:32 AM
KathyWaitMyers

1 posts · Oct 2009
Hi Flynn,

I'm having the exact same issue with a site hosted by Yahoo.

Can you tell me where to find the .htaccess file? I'm using FileZilla and it seems like I've been through every folder there is, but I haven't seen it. Not sure how to search for it, or I would have done that.

Thank you for this theme!! I'm having a lot of fun personalizing the site!

Kathy Wait Myers
Lincoln, Nebraska
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
a quick google search using 'yahoo htaccess where is it' came up with this info
Quote:
.htaccess (Hypertext Access)
The name .htaccess refers to the main configuration file for Apache, a popular open-source HTTP server. The .htaccess file can be used to create custom error pages and web page redirects, set up password protection, enable SSI, and more. Yahoo! does not currently allow you to upload .htaccess files to your account. For other customization options, we recommend the Custom Error Pages and password-protection features available in your Web Hosting Control Panel.
so it wold seem that you cannot use it hosting at yahoo.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:47 PM
dvsarchitect

1 posts · Sep 2010
.htaccess is the sole reason for your permalinks not working. In WP, once you set a permalink option, by default, WP will try to write to your .htaccess file to ensure that the user will be redirected to the appropriate user friendly url. If your .htaccess file is unwritable, WP will list the rewrite code for you to manually enter into the .htaccess file. This is the only way the permalinks will work.

Using an FTP client, FileZilla, go to your installation root and browse for the .htaccess file. If you can't find it it doesn't exist yet. Simply create one using notepad or wordpad and name the file htaccess.txt. Enter the rewrite code that WP provides during the permalink setup into this htaccess.txt file, save it, and upload it to your installation root. Once the file is uploaded to your host rename the file (.htaccess) *without the parenthesis*.

That is as good as gold and has always worked for me flawlessly. Should you somehow mess that up or get it wrong in some way and get the dreaded "500 Internal Server Error" simply delete the .htaccess file and your right back where you started.

Hope that helps!